Coyote trapping with used tires

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Coyote trapping with used tires

Post by lyonch »

Here is an article that major boddicker wrote about he trapped coyotes when the ground was frozen. This is the first time i have ever heard of this. Just curious on what your guys opinions are. It seems to have somewhat of the same concept of a bucket set.

http://www.sheepmagazine.com/issues/30/ ... mbush.html
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Coyote trapping with used tires

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Me and Coyotehunter talked about that last year on the way home from the Classic! I can certainly see how it would work.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

summer months trapping around sheep.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:summer months trapping around sheep.
I see how that can be effective
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I swore i was going to try but haven't yet.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I can easily see how that would work!! You have eye appeal, the drag, and the sheep/cattle proof design. I can see this working really well in most areas. I have debated on trying this in minnesota during the winter months in the white snow. The only question i have is, wouldn't you want to anchor the tire?? I guy would think that if a coyote is interested enough he would try pushing and pulling the tire around searching for the source, and if the trap was anchored to the tire it would get pulled with it an exposed. I am getting this from watching a dog searh for his treat when you hide it. they usually tug and pull on everything and move it just to find it.
Chris Lyon

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

In the winter you might get it to freeze down enough tough to say i would think if you had it anchored down once the coyote was caught you could run into swiveling issues.

I would think that if the lure was on the inside of the tire you shouldn't have that many problems with the coyote pulling it around the easiest way to get to the source would be to step inside thus ker snap and it's all over.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Good points brad!! If a guy didn't feel comfotable with anchoring to the tire, you could always have the location preset with a diposable stake set and ready to hook up with. I think a quick remake of the set after a yote was caught and raised a little caos at the site would really interest other coyotes on what happened and they would come investigate.

If anyone try this out before anyone on the site mentions it please post the results. I can see myself crawling up in the barn this year pulling down some old tires :mrgreen:
Chris Lyon

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

It definetly has merit
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

okay now I wnat to go and try it..............wonder if I can find a tire. last one with a pic is buying drinks at the Classic. who's in??
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Interesting.....very interesting! 8)
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Any animal or coyote only?? I am game. I can just crawl up in the barn at my parents and probably pull down a good 30 to 40 tires. Some are big truck tires and some are small car tires. For some reason i think i will be on the loosing end of this one :D oh well good thing i bring drinks with me to the classic :wink:
Chris Lyon

RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Fellas you do know that these are tires they use for feeding minerals and usually have a wooden bottom attached to them. You attach your trap by either drilling a hole with a cordless drill and running a bolt thru to secure the trap or stake thru the bottom into the ground. There will be something there that is holding the bottom on.

This is usually used when minerals are present to keep a trap from freezing in and can and will be very hard on trap steel. Typical sodium cloride reaction. I would not rule out a sheep stepping inside a tire, stupid sheep!! In fact they will most likely use it as a play toy, running on the edge etc.

There is a similar set for coons using a foothold and an old car rim. trap placed beneath the rim , lined up with centerhole, lure underneath, coon reaches in, gets foot in trap behind rim, not much of a chance for chewing. The hole in the center is small enough that a trap can't come thru it. Setting around junk piles old cars used to be where you could use the old rims. Rim gives the trap enough clearance to fire and catch. You could quick link to the rim for an anchoring point.
Randy Roede
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Randy did you check out the link that i had to the article on top? When you look at the pictures he doesn't show or mention and specific tire. I could be wrong though. It looked to me that major just chained the trap right around the tire through the rim opening and then reconnected to the chain.
Chris Lyon

RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Yep Chris, Major is most likely using a quick link or S hook, maybe even just wiring it knowing Major. I douby whether or not he ever had a cordless drill along to attach a few lengths of chain and a quick connect so it would all be hidden not to mention a functioning swivel. It would have to be a pretty long chain to wrap it as shown and still have something so the coyote wouldn't ring out the trap. This would always be a problem with this method.

Unless you bring your own tires, the ones you find in the pastures here are for holding mineral. This trapping method has been around for a long time. Major has another article about doing it to prevent traps from freezing, may have been in American Trapper magazine. Not sure.

Major is an old school guy and a true legend in many areas of trapping and predator calling.
Randy Roede