Coyote trapping with used tires

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Coyote trapping with used tires

Post by Prairie Ghost »

have you tried this Randy?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

RandyRoede wrote:Fellas you do know that these are tires they use for feeding minerals and usually have a wooden bottom attached to them. You attach your trap by either drilling a hole with a cordless drill and running a bolt thru to secure the trap or stake thru the bottom into the ground. There will be something there that is holding the bottom on.

This is usually used when minerals are present to keep a trap from freezing in and can and will be very hard on trap steel. Typical sodium cloride reaction. I would not rule out a sheep stepping inside a tire, stupid sheep!! In fact they will most likely use it as a play toy, running on the edge etc.

There is a similar set for coons using a foothold and an old car rim. trap placed beneath the rim , lined up with centerhole, lure underneath, coon reaches in, gets foot in trap behind rim, not much of a chance for chewing. The hole in the center is small enough that a trap can't come thru it. Setting around junk piles old cars used to be where you could use the old rims. Rim gives the trap enough clearance to fire and catch. You could quick link to the rim for an anchoring point.
thanks for the info Randy, always appreciate your input. I have not tried the set that Major was talking about. he has it in one of his books. been meaning to but.............you know how it is. do not want to be trying some new set on a problem coyote. The coon set with the rim sounds cool though. I have not heard that one before.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I really thing there is a lot of merit with the rim. I have a problem with coons on a chicken coop right now that might be worth trying????? :)
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Brad if you have some Griz's and some grape jelly they can be modified to use in a chicken coop, or outside, might be simpler than hauling in a rim.

I have mounted, hunk of two by four screwed to the board, with konibears on them on top of pens where the coons run the boards above on the wire. Another geat photo op!!

I have used the tire but they are hard on trap steel, we don't usually get the harsh winter freeze up here so the advantage of doing it is minimal. You wouldn't be able to use them if any livestock were present because of them always being in there looking for mineral and if the livestock are not in there well you have numerous other places and sets to use.

If I have to set in pastures with livestock, Options are the corrals, out in these pastures, nothing can get in them. Usually has rabbits, mice etc around it with maybe a building or a junk pile by it. Coyotes hunt them a lot. That old car in the other post was covered with coyote muddy footprints. The car was about 200 yards from a set of old corrals and a barn.

Stackyards another viable option, fenced out areas in livestock.

Old creep sp?? feeders draw the coyotes to them. I'm sure you guys have seen coyotes munchin on that. They luv it. Not to mention the mice around them.

The thing with all these other sets is that you are trying to force a coyote into a set. You will get some but a natural looking set in a natural surrounding will usually outproduce them. The hardest thing to do is make a coyote do anything that his instincts tell him not to. He will fight with that inner demon that is telling him NO but his curiousity or hunger or passion is telling him to go for it. Extreme conditions make him do things he normally wouldn't, like beer with humans!! That is why some coyotes rarely get called in or caught they are super conservative and timid to anything abnormal. Not so much smart, unless clipped, but just timid!

You can pull them into a hell hole brush patch and snare them by either draggin bait, way to much work, or just simply putting lure up in the brush and snarin the trails in it, an old O'Gorman, Pederson method used forever. Big baits have their time and place.

You may have to figure out where they are coming from before they get into the pasture with livestock and set them in the travel corridor getting there. Like a fence crawl under etc into a sheep pasture. Gland lure around a food source on a set. Brad and Jamie working sheep you know the drill!!

Jamie was always going to ask you, those fence snares you are using, from the pic, are they old Thompsen fence snares, 1 X 19??? Looked like them in the photo.

Anyway, that tire deals drawback is attaching and keeping a functional swiveling anchoring system so you don't get a ring off. We are on 72 hour checks and a lot can happen in that time frame with a coyote a trap and a tire. Would make a good photo op thou!!

The inital time I used it was a pasture with the mineral tires in it, no livestock, snow on the ground, and tracks of coyotes going to just about everyone of them. Along with mice tracks going under about everyone of them. The coyotes were getting their vitamins and a meal all at once. I just set the flat they had put the tires on, near tires and in tires and outside caught more coyotes.

Not new news to some but others may find it interesting.

HEY!! MINNESOTAIANS, YOU KNOW, AAAYY, GO TWINS!!!! I watch just about every game. Luv the Twins and of course the Vikings. Did ya hear they got Brett Favre!!!! :lol:
Randy Roede
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good post randy just thought it was an idea to keep in a guys head when working with the livestock.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great post Randy!! There is a lot of useful information in that post. We appreciate hearing it from someone who has experience with the set :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

my fence snares are set up kind of like O'Gormans. some differences, I use about 12" total length and attach to a fence post and support wire on fence. O'Gorman uses shorter cable lengths, and kill poles. Even on fences. cam locs, choke springs (50lb), B.A.D. 110lb, 4' snare 5/64 1x19 with a 8' 3/32 7x7 pig tail. those old snares that are hanging in that particular fence I believe is non-galvinzed 1x19 with gregarson locs. Could be wrong but I think that is what they are.
Coyotes Forever