Trapping lures for coyotes

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Trapping lures for coyotes

Post by Tim Anderson »

My son just got his Fire-arm safety permitt and wants to try a little trapping.. I have a few cage traps for coon and some fox traps to get him started and since there are a few coyotes close by town i thought i could try to get a few sets made for them as well.
So anyway what would be some good food and gland lures to try????
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Trapping lures for coyotes

Post by Prairie Ghost »

O'gorman has real good stuff, A.M Grawe, Kaatz bro's just call and get a few catalogs sent your way and you should find all you need.

For the live traps on skunk complaints i just use dry dog or cat food.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Amen to the dry dog/cat food.If its warm out,puncture a can of sardines a few times and let it 'ferment' in the cage.Could probably leave the door closed and catch em with that. :D
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Thanks for the info. I'll give Mn. trapline products a call for catolog..
For the cage traps i just use carp and suckers cut into chunks.. Thanks
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Tim, Cavens, Gusto and any of his baits, just mice, etc. will catch coyotes. Lots and lots of good quality lures and baits out there nowadays.
Randy Roede
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Thanks Randy.. I was looking through an old catolog from Mn trap products and yep youre right there was abunch of baits and lures for coyotes, actually to many thats why i asked here..
I have always had good luck with Cavens baits for fox but thought i should double check for coyotes incase there was something better.. Thanks..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

it really depends on so many things. stuff that works well here may not do so good there. Just need to pick up a few different kinds and see what works in your area. Grawes is not far from where you live, he traps the area and IMO he would be my first stop. Meaning soil types, weather conditions, moisture, prey base in the area............. I would get some coyote gland and a bottle of urine. find some beaver or bear meat and chunk that up. always good to throw some fresh meat down the hole.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I am very new into trapping, last year I tried O gormons, this year I am trying some of Grawes. Trial and Error.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

I stuggled to get my first coyote in the trap. After a few years it started to click slowly. Now I have limited time and dont trap much away from the house. I did teach a trappers education class and had 2 boys catch a coyote their first year so it's not that hard. They found the tracks made a set and monitored it from a distance. In a few days they had their first coyote. I have had the best advice from O'Gormans book and Slim Pedersons. Dont try too hard they are not that hard to catch. The hardest thing is to get them in a few days of trapping. I could give advice but not much of it would be my own.