Lyonch Trapping 09

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Lyonch Trapping 09

Post by lyonch »

Bucks my camera is a Canon Power Shot SD630. The camera does take good pictures, but i think it has a lot to do with the program i use to edit them to a smaller size. I am using IrfanView 4.10 to edit them to size. When i do a resize/resample, i always bring the DPI from 72 pixels all the way up to 200,000 DPI. I think that plays a bigger role than anything. Send me a pic a of something and i will send it through and the program and send it back to you. Its pretty neat what that program can do. I have been playing with the old black and white photo portion of it lately :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I love all the photos
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I know this isn't really considered a predator, but my grandpa called the other day and asked if i could take care some beaver that are on his property. Well of course i said i would do it, but knowing absolutely nothing about under ice beaver trapping; i researched it for hours and found several sets to try. After all the research was done, i contacted a neighbor who i know is just generally a great outdoorsman and asked if he wanted to tag along. He said sure of course and said he had a couple 330's laying around for when he dabs a little in spring beaver trapping when he was younger. So we adventured out and made 3 sets at the first pont and two at another. All the sets were next to the bait pile. The first pond i park in granpas driveway and walk across the road and onto the pond with high hopes. i grab the frist bait pole that we set with a 330 and noticed the trap was snapped, but no beaver. What the hell i thought. So then i grab the next bait pole in high hopes knowing that he worked the area, and notices it seemed a little light so i pulled it up and one of the snare was off the support and tightened down to about the size of a silver dollar but no beaver again. Then i start to think well this shit is getting old checking fired traps with nothing in it. So i grab the last bait pole on that pond and noticed there was a huge hole in the ice where his breath hole was. I grab the pole and as i start to pull i notice that this SOB is a lot heavier than the other two. I got a big smile on my face :D and gave that thing a good tug and up comes Mr. Beaver caught right by the head and carrying a lilly pad root in his mouth. So i reset all the traps thinking that there has to be more than just him in the area. So i load up and go to the next pond. This one we were unsure of if there was recent activity, but set it anyhow. Well i pulled the two bait poles with snares and noticed there was nothing that worked either one. So i reset and placed them back in again. So i caught, skun, and fleshed my first beaver last night :D I should have taken a lot more pics, but i get so excited like a kid at christmas to get on and check the rest of my sets, that i forget to take pics from set up to end results :oops: I would guess he weighed around 50 lbs. Not a monster, but a decent one :)

Chris Lyon

Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Hey congrats on your first beaver,that under ice trapping can be frustating, never had much luck with bait pole's mostly did run's, and bubble path's :D How did the fleshing go?? they can be tough... NOW your shirt is correct "Got Beaver" :lol: :lol: :lol:
a proud member of the "IF" team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

LMFAO yes the shirt is correct now :lol: :lol: The fleshing was a little interesting. I bought a knecker fleshing knife knowing that i will be trapping some beaver and so i tried out the knecker for the first time and felshed my first beaver. there are parts that was fast and slick and then there were parts i was cussing and swearing at it. Do you guys have any tip for fleshing these critters? I had someone tell my i should open them up just enough to case skin them then flesh them that way. When done open them straight up the belly then. I had a hard time keeping that bastard on the fleshing beam :?
Chris Lyon

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

good job on the first. i've watched Dusty flesh hundreds of them but i know i would probably butcher the first few. he does them in minutes. he does them skinned all the way open.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

we should be frying up the beaver meat!!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

LeviM wrote:we should be frying up the beaver meat!!!!
i already have the back legs packed away for someone who requested for them :shock: The next one levi we will have to do beaver backstrap on the grill :D Of course we will have a few too many to drink, but it should be interesting :lol: :wink:
Chris Lyon

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Denises uncle LOVES coon.i've given him several over the years and he chew's em up. oh, and young beaver is WAY better than old ones :wink: :mrgreen:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

bucksnbears wrote:Denises uncle LOVES coon.i've given him several over the years and he chew's em up. oh, and young beaver is WAY better than old ones :wink: :mrgreen:
Thanks I spit coffee all over my key board and computer screen!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

I,ve ate beaver..a bit fishy :shock: no, no really I have and its not to bad better than muskrat or coon :D Lyonch can you put a pin or nail in the top of your beam if so just stick it thru a leg, eye, ear hole and that helps alot, don't know about fancy fleshing knive's always used a wood type draw knife that you could shave with, did you go upstair's at my other place when you stayed there on the wall are many draw knive's (I collect the dam things) and are you pushing or pulling when you flesh??
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Just googled knecker looks like a fleshing knife, the hard part for me using that type of knife was it won't fit in my elbow nook for one hand fleshing, its hard to explian, I'll bring a knife to Balta to show you and let you try it if youd like??
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Interesting concept Tbush!! i push when i flesh. yeah the one side of the knife is really sharp. The other fleshing knife i had i knew there was no way i was going to get a beaver done by using it :roll: I am really interested in how this one arm fleshing works :o
Chris Lyon

Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

pushing to me seem's to take way to long with way to much effort....Have a buddy who has a taxidermy school and we did little contest he pushed and I did it my way on a deer cape w/o splitting lips and ears I beat him by half... soo guess how he does it now?? I'll show you gladly, Are you guys still comingto Balta??
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

we plan on coming as long as it isn't white out conditions. That blowing snow is the only hinder right now. I will call in the wind but blowing snow just plain ass sucks :evil:
Chris Lyon