Lyonch Trapping 09

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Lyonch Trapping 09

Post by LeviM »

Bring the knife Terry I am always willing to learn something new! We are still trying to make Balta, my local weatherman made it sound like it could get alittle ugly Saturday, We will jsut have to make a game time decision on friday afternoon.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Right on Lyonch good work.

On the fleshing thing i pushed and used a Necker knife for fur work and a curved "green river" knife for taxidermy fleshing.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Well sunday morning i took a little trip to go check my 5 beaver sets i had out at my grandparents, and of course forgot my camera, but the possible future brother in law brought his. Every time scott has gone with me, i seem to have every trap empty, or have a possum or two. Well this time there was a lot of first that happened again. I snared my first critter, snared my first beaver, and first time i caught something with scott. Well here are a couple pics of the beaver. He was snared right behind the head and the wind was really blowing and too cold to be snapping pics while checking traps. Hopefully this spring when i do a little spring beaver trapping i can get some more action pics.

I dont know if i am bad at guessing beaver weight, but i thought the first beaver would go around 45 to 50 and he stretched to 70" beaver. This one i was thinking 35 lbs and need to consult my chart when i get hom to seee what he will stretch.

Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Nice work buddy!!! Now take that fur check and go buy some decent pants and boots for checking traps you look like you're freezing (typical MN boy hunting in his club clothes)
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Nice job man. Marty and I should have a couple hundered beaver soon, want to do some skinning ? :lol: :lol:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Mitch i just built a beaver skinning table and a table to use to dry them (a combo) i got the plans from FHA. Let me know what you are thinking price wise and we can talk about me putting 200 beaver up :wink:
Chris Lyon

Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

200 beav, that will get you popeye arms for sure 8) 8)
a proud member of the "IF" team
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Tbush wrote:200 beav, that will get you popeye arms for sure 8) 8)
i will refrain :lol:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

200 Beaver!!!! :shock: Thats Tiger Woods Numbers right there!! okay, couldnt resist! :shock:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Lets see, if i do 10-15 a night, that will take me roughly 150 to 200 minutes depending upon the size of the beaver that lot provides. So if there is 60 minutes in an hour, it will take me about 3 hours just to skin them. then another god knows how long to flesh them. I can dry 12 at a time right now and will have to get some more boards and nails so i can dry more at a time. And when i am all said and done it will take me by myself probably a month from start to finish if i only work on it on weeknights. Then if i look at the price of everything, say i get 25-30 bucks a beaver average, that is including the castors. that would be 5,000 in cash from the fur buyer. then i need to at least split that 50/50 with mitch or what ever we would decide upon, then i need to claim that money for taxes. So all in it will roughly take 200 hours to put up a beaver start to finish. at $2,500 that would equal $12.50 an hour. Yeah i better not quit my day job if thats all the more money a guy can make :wink:

On a serious note mitch let me know what your thinking and we can work something out 8)
Chris Lyon

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

do it for the love man :lol:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

wow Lyonch you really crunched the numbers on that one.. If our honeyholes get really good melts and the water comes up fast and hard it will be good. Hopefully marty is not working seven twelves by then!
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Lynoch you gotta remember these beaver will be shot :shock: sooo............ skinning will take a bit longer and the sewing of beaver sucks :( just my 2 cents :D
a proud member of the "IF" team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Tbush wrote:Lynoch you gotta remember these beaver will be shot :shock: sooo............ skinning will take a bit longer and the sewing of beaver sucks :( just my 2 cents :D

Mitch i sure hope your a head shooter :wink: I never thought about that Tbush :? I might want to lower my pay rate to average of 10.00 an hour :lol: I think i made that back when i was 16 :oops:
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

you must be bored!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"