DustyC trapping 09

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: DustyC trapping 09

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good dogs! i've heard good things about his dogs. If you can get you dog out running with one of his on some stands with coyotes you will be ahead of the game thats for sure.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Yeah. I can't wait. Daves a great guy. He has really helped me out on alot of things. He's really a genuine good guy. One day out ground crewing last year, Gunner caught a coyote that went to the brush and tried to hole up. He just had the thing almost dead in the short time it took Dave and I to get there.
Heres a picture from my archives. :wink: Maybe I can get some input from you pros on why the chain wrapped his foot up. The trap has 3 swivels an about 6' of chain. All three swivels were operational when I got the coyote out of the trap.
chain.jpg
"God hates a coward"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Dusty,

Your blond cur looks identical to my female. Gotta love the choke hold. Nice work, keep it up.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Don't know about the chain wrapped on his foot i haven't had that one happen. I would assume he was doing some rolling when he was fighting the trap and got the trap put through a few loops and then hit the end of the chain.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I can't say that i've every had that happen. kind of unique. I'd bet that will be the only time you have that. It could be caused by the 6' of chain, it'll leave a longer loop of chain for things to happen.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Thanks guys. I was just curious what your thoughts would be on something like that. xdeano, I wish I could let you go on believeing that that is my dog, but it wouldn't be right :) . belongs to a good friend of mine that works for WS. He is a good looking dog though.
Well, todays the day. :twisted: :twisted: It feels like I am finally getting released from prison.I have my truck loaded and my dogs are finishing there food and then I'm going denning. I have 2 spots that I want to work today on neighbors ranch that won't let me trap it. She doesn't mind if I call just no trapping. I really want to get it cleaned up a little because we always get a big influx of coyotes during calving that causes me a little grief.
A friend of mine got the new WT atom last winter so I think I might play with it a little today and see what It's about. He's still up in the air about it. He said he likes the call but the owner of the company is a little to arrogant to deal with.
"God hates a coward"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I like people that are honest. I'd guess if it's a WS empolyee, I'd about imagine it might have some of the same lines as mine. They're good looking dogs at any rate.

Good luck with the denning.

xdeano
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

II bet he probably does. I know that he came from Nevada.
Well heres the story of my first den of the year. I left the house around 7 yesterday morning and the wind wasn't blowing. By the time i got to where I wanted to start it was blowing about 20 miles an hour :evil: :evil: . I decided not to let it bother me to bad and went on with getting ready. You have to walk about a mil and a half to get in there undetected. I sat down and let my dogs start to work the area and about 5 minutes later I start calling. I sat there about 20 minutes with no response that I could hear over the wind. About that time I look up and at 874 yards I can see 3 coyotes headed ou of a drawe and going the wrong direction. I called 1 more time and they stopped for just a second and took off. They got out to well over 1000 yards and stopped and sat down and just looked at my dogs for a while. About 5 minutes of this and I look up and here comes another coyote. They waited until the other dog caught up and started my way. They hung up about 600 yards out so I let out a ky-y and here the come again. I was able to pick out what I thought to be the wet female and she was in the lead!!!! They started to go the way the wind was blowing and I had to reposition. At 289 yards the wet female stopped and then started down wind again. I had to stop her @ 276 yards because she was about to wind me. My dogs still couldn't see or smell them because of the route they came in on and the wind. When she stopped the other coyotes were out any where from between 300 to 500yards. I touched off the 22-6mm Ackley and bang flop. The other coyotes bolted. My dogs finally saw them after I shot and took off after what I thought to be a male. I started to ky-y again and he decided to fight the dogs. They made one pass by me on the down wind side and up and over a hill he went. I never saw him again :evil: . After waiting and calling another 1/2 an hour I decided to go and look for the den. I knew she had at least 4 pups if not a couple more(I never had to cut her open. The rifle did it for me. :twisted: ). Part of her tubes got obliterated and I spilled her stomach content whitch happened to be one of my neighbors charlois calves.
stomach content.jpg
I found the den about 4 hours later and got it gassed. I couldn't retrieve the pups due to the fact that in all of the excitement of getting to start calling again I forgot my shovel at home. I went and put in some steel to try and clean up the other 3 coyotes and I headed for the house. I'll post more pictures as soon as I can get them off of my phone.
wet female.jpg
location.jpg
The den was located towards the top of the draw with white dirt knob just to the right of it.
"God hates a coward"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great post DustyC!! A lot of info in it :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Nice job DustyC :) Wish I could see your dogs work 'em!
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Atta Boy!!!!
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

1st check on my traps and not a single coyote!!!!!!!! I think I spooked the others out of the area.
"God hates a coward"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Well school is finally out here for the summer. I say we take a vote and send all the kids to Dusty's for a month or two.. :mrgreen:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

How close are you setting traps to that den?
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Thanks Tim. Pg I have my traps set at least 1/4 of a mile back. I had a real good trail.packed with sign that I through in some mafia sets with stripped colon droppings and a couple scent posts with bladder urine. I really blended the mafia sets well but the sign has just dis appeared off of the whole trail. Heres another picture of my buddies dogs. The den was found from the air plane.
working a den.jpg
"God hates a coward"