DustyC trapping 09

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

DustyC

Re: DustyC trapping 09

Post by DustyC »

Heres a closer pic of the drag. All idid was take an old spring tooth and build the teeth and weld it to a piesc of flat stock for some weight.It takes a preety good hole to bury it but thats ok. I didn't have a pattern. I know someone else has probably made one before though.
drag.JPG
"God hates a coward"
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Dusty, I had the same problem with the Montana's. I finally ended up giving a dozen of them to a friend and bought some Sterlings. Those are the bad boys for cat's and coyotes. A little spendy, but well worth the money. The way I look at it is one cat will pay for a dozen Sterling just about. :roll: :roll:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

How far are your coyotes getting with that drag? Are you running 8ft for chain? looks like a good setup.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

That coyote got maybe 30 yards. He almost made it to the little grease wood bushes I thought he would tangle up in. On those open country drags I've been adding 8' to the stock 18" so about 9 and1/2 feet of chain. I don't know if it's necessary or not but I have caught a few coyotes on them and haven't lost a single on. I tested it on a alkali flat that had a couple pieces of grease wood in the middle and about 100yds to the brush line and the coyote only made 62yds from the set.(lieca 900)
"God hates a coward"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

How about non-targets?
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I haven't had any catches on non-targets yet. With my other drags that I build and run 8' of chain on I've caught a couple deer that I had to release and it held firm.
"God hates a coward"
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Jerry, I agree on the sterling comment and damn sure wouldn't mind running them. The only problem that I have is the cost of replacing them after it gets stolen. We have 2 guys around here that aren't afraid to follow you and take yuor cats and gear. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
"God hates a coward"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Thats grounds for lynching where i come from!!! :evil: A trail camera can go a long ways in that instance. Society has no place for a trap thief!
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

DustyC wrote:Jerry, I agree on the sterling comment and damn sure wouldn't mind running them. The only problem that I have is the cost of replacing them after it gets stolen. We have 2 guys around here that aren't afraid to follow you and take yuor cats and gear. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Grounds for instant termination. :twisted: :twisted: It would almost be worth them doing it, just to catch them doing it. Tie them up and feed them a jar of powder river paste bait, then leave them for bait. :twisted: :twisted:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

yeah i hate to say it, but i wouldn't be the nicest player in the bunch. I have a tendency to be the child and take it a little too far when something like that happens :twisted: Anyone need ideas just ask, im sure i will come up with something. I need to be careful though because if i let all my dirty tricks out, they can come back and bite me :shock: My favorite to date would have to be the skunk essence on the cloth car seat, or heater vents :twisted: :twisted: my next favorite is filling a chicks car completely full of loose hay :lol: that was a fun one to do :mrgreen:

DustyC it looks like you have some form of weight at the front of your drag where the chain connects ot it. Is that something you did on purpose to help the drag grab, or is another reason? Just curious because you dont hear of too many drags that grapple that quick in open terrain like that.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Dont forget the dead raccoon on the windshield of that smart ass punk kid at hardees!!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

LeviM wrote:Dont forget the dead raccoon on the windshield of that smart ass punk kid at hardees!!!!

LMFAO!!! now that was two drunk idiots having a fun time right there :lol: :lol: i will never forget that one :twisted: :twisted:
Chris Lyon

DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Well after following the tracks and figuring out witch person did it, somehow there traps malfunctioned to where they won't fire. :shock: I think some one must have pulled them and welded the jaws open and then reset them. :wink: :wink: I'm not sure who would do such a thing but I'm sure he's a touch childish :twisted: The person that did it checked the other day and pushed down on the pan with a stick and it's solid as a rock.(I'll bet those 7 sets don't catch much this year!!!!!! 8)
Any ways, to answer your question chris I added the weight (1/4"x2"x14"Chunk of iron) hoping that the brag would lay flat to help the teeth dig into the ground better. PG, were you wondering if the teeth would hold up to a larger non-target catch? I never thought of that.
"God hates a coward"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

DustyC wrote:Well after following the tracks and figuring out witch person did it, somehow there traps malfunctioned to where they won't fire. :shock: I think some one must have pulled them and welded the jaws open and then reset them. :wink: :wink: I'm not sure who would do such a thing but I'm sure he's a touch childish :twisted: The person that did it checked the other day and pushed down on the pan with a stick and it's solid as a rock.(I'll bet those 7 sets don't catch much this year!!!!!! 8)

I love it :lol: :lol: Just one more to add to my arsenal now :twisted: hey levi i think i know of someone who needs this done in your kneck of the woods. That way the coons pass his traps and move right on down to yours :twisted:
Chris Lyon

DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Heres another one I caught today. Thats one of my pups from the last litter. She is starting to really work on the coyotes on drags. I missed getting the pictureof her biting the coyote onthe ass!!!!! :twisted:
money.JPG
"God hates a coward"