SD Bobcat

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

1Shooter
coyotehunter

SD Bobcat

Post by 1Shooter »

I'll be at SDSU in Brookings again this spring, and was wondering if there are any bobcat in that area. I doubt it, because from what I've read they like hilly, thicker kind of a habitat rather than the plains sort of like Brookings. Just wondering if anyone has information that they could pass on to a guy with a few snares. Jerry? Randy? I bought these snares from Scheels. Blue Valley Predator Snares. There is a tightly wound piece of wire around up by the anchor loop and there's a small metal ferrule there too. Can't figure out for the life of me what they're for. These snares have a kill spring and a breakaway 'S' hook. Anyone know what these two pieces might be for without referring me to a dvd?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: SD Bobcat

Post by lyonch »

Post a pic of the snare, and you might get some better responses without people guessing at what it is :?
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

You MIGHT be able to see those parts in this picture. In the bottom right hand corner of this picture, at the end with the anchor loop, there's a small piece of wire wrapped up and looks kind of like a spring. There's also a small ferrule. This ferrule and 'spring' are able to move along the snare wire from the cable lock to the anchor loop. I can't figure out what they're for :oops:
Now looking around at SD Fish & Game sites, there doesn't appear to be a bobcat season at all east river. I'll still be going after coon, fox, badger and coyote though; all east river.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHNMbXKb_FA

Check that video out and it should help you. The piece of wrapped wire that you are confused about is a snare support collar (wammy). It's what holds your snare on your snare support wire.
Chris Lyon

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Thanks for the info! Any ideas on the loose ferrule? There's one like it on all of my snares, so it's not just something that came loose. I can't find anything about it online and cannot find info about Blue Valley Predator Snares.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Is it a double ferrule that has one side crimped and the other side open? Take a pic of it close up and that might help determine what you talking about.
Chris Lyon

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

lyonch wrote:Is it a double ferrule that has one side crimped and the other side open? Take a pic of it close up and that might help determine what you talking about.
Nope, not a double ferrule. There's the whammy and then the little metal ring to the right. Not sure what the ring is. Here's the pic:
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

It looks like a deer stop which you must have unless it is a break away lock, 1shooter no offense but i think you need a little more instruction etc and read the reg book before you put out any equipment.

That deer stop must be crimped on the cable so the loop will go no smaller than 2 1/2 " in diameter which is around 8" from the end of the snare. A copenhagen can is about the right diameter. Unless the snare is equipped with a breakaway lock a deer stop is mandatory. I assume ND has the same reg on this??? I assume they put both the deer stop on with the breakaway because you don't know in what state it will be used and with diffeent regs from state to state you can get it to be legal somehow with both attached. States have different breakaway strengths.

If you could find an experienced trapper to show you a few things it would be to your advantage. This type of stuff can lead to some real trainwrecks casting some bad shadows over all trappers.

Again no offense to you just some advice.
Randy Roede
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Thanks Randy and lyonch. I was wondering if it was a deer stop but didn't know because it does have a breakaway S as well. From what I can tell, ND doesn't require a deer stop, but it must have a breakaway at some time. There is a limit of 12" as to how far it can open, however. Sorry guys for being so jump-to-it-ive; I'm just excited to start learning all this stuff and I have a bunch of questions. Any places in Bismarck to buy good trapping books? I don't like ordering things off of the internet, but if it comes to that, so be it I suppose. I know of one guy in my town that I've heard traps a bit, but I'm not really high in favor with him...he's the old wrestling coach, and I had to quit wrestling because I have a bad back and didn't like going to the chiropractor every week. Therefore, he likes to think I'm a p*ssy and not give me any time of day. I don't know anyone else that traps or snares that could show me the ropes, so I have to do all that I can to learn it on my own. Don't worry guys, I won't go out without having a good idea of what I'm doing. I just need to start by building a good solid base of know how.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Good Post Randy!!!!
Chris Lyon

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Non-Res. cannot hunt or trap cats in S.D.
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Tim Anderson wrote:Non-Res. cannot hunt or trap cats in S.D.
Check out the first page of the following link:
http://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/Trapping ... erregs.pdf
It says that non-residents can take bobcat from Jan. 9 - Feb. 15. Also, I will be considered as a resident when I buy my tags because I go to SDSU. Look about half way down on the right hand side of page 8:
http://www.sdgfp.info/publications/huntinghandbook.pdf
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Now thats what you call doind your homework and researching. :D Keep doing that with snare and traps to get a base started then i would ask someone ( as randy roede mentioned) if you could follow them on there line and show you a thing or two.
Chris Lyon

Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

I see one more problem with the pictures of the snare. In South Dakota , you are required to have a swivel on the snare. I don't see one on your snare. Get with someone who knows somthing about snaring to save yourself some grief and problems. You can learn a lot from all the snare books that are out. Also, Bobcats can not be trapped or snared East of the Missouri River.
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

1Shooter, I didn't read all of your post. You already stated about reading in the handbook about only being able to trap bobcats in Western S.D. East river is out for trapping cats. On the books to get, you may have to get them on the internet. If you can ever get to a place that has trapping supplies, most of the time they also have snaring books. There are lots of retrictions when you snare for good reasons. Make sure you know them. If you have more questions, just ask them on this forum and I'm sure you will get the right answers. Lots of guys on here will help you.