Staking

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Staking

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good post Randy.

Real debateble is very true i run longer chains and with drags even longer yet but that is personnal preference with what i have to work with. Very good point on having good equipment with longer chains or running drags (don't skimp on drags!)

Good tools you only cry once poor tools you'll cry every time you use them. traps that are taken care of last a long long time spend the money to do it right from the get go
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Thanks again for all the info here guys, I'll do my best to keep it all in mind. Here's what I'm thinking of for staking my snares when I get them out. Use berkshire disposable ground stake with 18" cable, quick-linked to back end (adjustable loop) of 6' of 5/64" 1/19 cable with canadian dispatch spring. To get a swivel in there, should I cut off the adjustable loop of the pre-made snares I've got and put a swivel on instead? I am planning on:

-Cutting off the adjustable loop end (end with double ferrule, not the business end)
-Feed snare cable through swivel made of #9 wire
-Feed snare cable through washer
-Mash small nut onto end of cable
-Quick-link swivel to disposable ground stake cable

Does this sound like a good idea or are there better ways of doing this?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

That sounds about right, but I would mash a double ferrrule on. They hold alot better and you wont loose your gear to an accidental deer. You can run the cable of your dis. stake through the swivel and then the end of your snare back through the loop on the dis. stake. I hope that all made sense.
"God hates a coward"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

That sound about right. If you haven't bought a whole bunch yet i would recommend Iowa disposable or High Desert Spears for your disposable stakes.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!