quick question

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

EO caller

quick question

Post by EO caller »

Quick Question for the coyote trappers. When your setting up around a dead cow or any other natural bait station what do you use for lure if any at your trap? Would you just use some urine? I'm just setting up next to the trails going into the area. The closest trap to the dead cow is more than 100 yards away.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: quick question

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Gland lure and urine, cache sets with some baried meat based bait ect ect. If you read hoofbeats and i have read in other places of how to set these up the old school guys that had to do it with traps really thought about the dominance issues and the way younger coyotes are waiting for their turn. Craig talks about "substations" and setting up on them as if they were the main attraction also. Something to keep in mind to take full advantage of it is to wait until they get going on the "carcass" before you set up on it. Setting snares on the trails coming in is always a alternative and a lot less maintance.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

If you know there a dogs visting the carcuss regularly, I would set snares on the trails. Like Brad mentioned, alot less work, and just as effective, if not more.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Thanks guys, There isn't alot of snareing spots but there is a woven wire fence that I need to set up pretty close by. My dad gave me a snareing lesson today so I'll add that to my repatwa. I sure like finding tham alive though. Much more exciting. :lol:
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Corey,
I don't trap anymore but PGs point about Hoofbeats and 'sub stations' sure seems to make a lot of sense.If you get near a deer carcass its even more obvious I think.You can see 'parts spots'where there might be a leg or...Sometimes 3-4 of these type spots away from the main carcass.
Also born out by watching a pack at a pile of dead cows.Just had the opportunity to do that in the last few days.In watching,you could see where those waiting would sit-kind of good vantage points.I bet with creative placement of sticks,brush,rocks etc,you could place sets effectively there.A real art.Interesting stuff!
Also,when you gonna announce the new DVD? :D
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Thanks for the advice Dick.The DVD thing is a process. My equipment is slow and I'm having problems getting it spliced together,ie the sound not being synced up. I'm also waiting on the music from my cousin. If I dont do a voice over I think it will go together alot faster. Everytime I record a voice track its one more thing that builds up in my computer and makes it slower. The more crap on my hard drive the less quality I'm getting. Also I have to do a little intro like you did in the beginning of your video and thats not my cup of tea. Its OK When its in the moment but Its tough for me to just set up the camera and talk and sound halfway intelligent. It'll be done soon I promise :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Do the members at coyotehunter.net get a special rate for this video :wink: I can't wait to see it!!! I hope it makes the online store here :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

from the clips you've posted here i'm sure it'll be a winner. specially with the music :D
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

lyonch wrote:Do the members at coyotehunter.net get a special rate for this video :wink: I can't wait to see it!!! I hope it makes the online store here :D
If it makes a store it'll be this one first. As for a special rate I'd be willing to make a trade. I like new country full of dumb coyotes and guys that like to shoot said dogs on video. :wink: :D :D :wink:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

LOLOLOL ya i hate areas chalk full of dumb coyotes that someone is willing to let me hunt! :lol: A guy has to dream right? :lol: :wink: when i find the "motherload" i will give you 48 hours notice to meet me there with the camera 8)
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

You forget, I used to be a bullhauler. I can be anywhere in 36 hours. :lol:
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I think you guys are forgetting to call me when you find these dumb coyotes!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

well how about it.............is the video done??? Lots of work.
Coyotes Forever
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

I dont know if its done yet or not.I've got some original music, I've got my big computer but I can't make myself happy about it yet. Cant decide wether to do a voice over or a picture in picture narration or just let it run and have the viewer figure it out. Mostly its pretty self explanitory but I cant help but think it could use some narration. I can't see spending the money to get it replicated if I don't think it will sell.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I would do the voice over narration.............for me it is nice to know what is going on. but this can be a lot of extra work. I would see if you could sell it as streaming video first before going into the expense of a dvd, cover, packageing..............not a lot of out of pocket expense with streaming video. I know this guy that can maybe help you with that.
Coyotes Forever