Coyote traps

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

barebackjack
coyotehunter

Coyote traps

Post by barebackjack »

I havent trapped canines in quite a few years. But I have lined up quite a bit of property for trapping/snaring next season.

Now, call me crazy, but back when I did trap, all I ever set for coyotes were Northwoods 1.75 coils. Between my old man (who long lined for 20+ years) and myself, we've caught a LOT of coyotes and (knock on wood) only ever lost one. I always like the 1.75 as it seemed plenty strong enough for coyotes (at least the northwoods were) and I always like having less steel in the ground.

I was always a huge fan of the Northwoods 1.75, but through selling and "lending" them to people (only to never see them again) ive been reduced to a meager dozen.

Ive been looking at picking up another dozen or two. Ive been looking at dukes, but my only experience with them are their conibears and #1 longs for 'rats.

Are the duke 1.75s anywhere near decent starting out? (Mind you, nobody makes a ground ready trap in my opinion, I do a bunch of modifications-even the Northwoods needed work to be where I wanted them to be). Im fully equipped for base plating, setting up center swivels, and laminating if need be. My god traps are expensive these days! I cant imagine putting a $25-35 trap in the ground!

Dont they know fur isnt worth anything!? :lol:

Although, I did pick up a half dozen #5 bridgers a few weeks for a song and dance.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Coyote traps

Post by LeviM »

All I run for coyotes are #2, and #3 Bridgers. Easy to modify and bed really nice.

Just a side note: I have been only trapping a hand full of years, so I dont have the experience as everyone else.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

A trap that is modified properly can hold a coyote, but what trap will modify the easiest? Time is money for some guys. I run fully modified #2 bridgers because i also target fox and coon with them. If i were to target only coyotes i would stay with #3 bridger because they modify quick and lay flat like levi mentioned. I have seen a couple of traps that O'Gorman sells and those are some awesome traps as well. You get what you pay for in a trap in my opinion.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

#3 Bridger fully modified best coyote trap for the money hands down. Duke has come a long ways but still builds a fairly "foxy" coyote trap. They cut corners and thats why they cost less.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

the 1.75 northwoods had highlevers and good jaw spread. the Duke just is not the same trap. It depends and proper staking, swivels and the length of check. If you are on a 24 hr check then you can get away with a lot. Barring rain and snow. Throw in a 3-5 day check and a light frost............better get a damn good trap. Bang for the buck the #2 and #3 bridger will fit the bill.
Coyotes Forever
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Thanks for the input guys!

Ive always been a 24 hour check kind of guy. And ive always double staked in coyote areas (but held plenty in single staked fox sets). Ive always rod staked, but may play around with pogos this fall.

What are you guys doing for mods on the bridgers?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

barebackjack wrote:What are you guys doing for mods on the bridgers?

I buy my bridgers already fully modified, but the modifications to the trap are a trap that has(mine are #2's):
4 coil springs
base plate with D-ring
offset jaws
laminated jaws

Here's some pics:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

the modified bridgers #2 and #3 are the way to go. best buy for your money and will hold a coyote. The Number #3 has proven to me that it can hold bigger animals as well. Good trap.
Coyotes Forever
trapper444
coyotehunter

Post by trapper444 »

Duke does make a 1 3/4 4x4 that would hold a coyote just fine they are very nice ive used the No 2 CS Dukes for them also with good luck& all i did to them was bend up the jaw tips a little
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

it can make a difference on the type of trapping you are using ..............soil type, weather, length of checks............
Coyotes Forever