trapping with sardines?

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

country_guy9734
coyotehunter

trapping with sardines?

Post by country_guy9734 »

i am heading to SC for the weekend. i have been trapping coons on creek banks with the hole in the bank trick. i was wondering if i did this setup back in the sticks if i could catch a coyote or a fox off of them? or should i use something like a grey squirrel for a atractant?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: trapping with sardines?

Post by lyonch »

I would personally look into some commercial lure if your going to target a coyote. You can also just trap a couple of mice and toss them in a hole too.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i had good luck with sardines and smoked oysters when i trapped coon and mink. that was in the early 80's when coon were worth 30-40 $ and sardines were 50 cent a can though.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Sards worked good for mink in the 50s and 60s as well.They seem to work for coon year around.I know a 3000 acre hunting operation that uses them to sweep the coon/skunk etc from their land.In the summer,they poke holes in the cans,throw them in the back of a live trap and let the sun heat/ ferment them.Nasty! :shock: Effective.
Furry critters all like fish I suspect.Whether Browns on salmon or Blacks on suckers,bears sure do.No doubt in my mind anymore that yotes do.In the last week I've found 2 places on shorelines where thousands of minnows are packed in trying to get air.Both have dead minnows scattered on shore and on the ice.Yote tracks tell me they didn't get there by jumping.(I'll be setting up on one some night this week.)
When I was a kid trapping though,the sugar and ice cream of the fish world were crappies.A sweet smell vs say the stink of a northern.Never used holes,just staked them on a bank above the set=bingo=gas and beer money!
A side benefit,with crappies you could check and set culverts on a date-a no-no with stinky northerns,unless of course you had lots of beer. :D