Snare Prep

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Snare Prep

Post by LeviM »

I plan on doing some beaver trapping this coming up weekend. I go some new snares, along with some 330 conibears. My question is do you guys spray paint your snares or do you just boil them in baking soda?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Snare Prep

Post by lyonch »

The ones i used so far, are just boiled in baking soda. these are underwater snares though. I have always thought that maybe dyeing them when i dye my traps would be a great camo starter, but i dont know how this will effect the mechanics of the snare.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

I have dyed snares before in HOT water and they tend to rust to fast and to much :(
a proud member of the "IF" team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Baking soda and spray paint.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Where the hell you got open water???

I spent most of Thursday NOT setting beaver traps. Hell of a lot more snow/ice than I thought there would be!

I usually just give em a quick boil in baking soda. Than they hang outside a few months. Nice and dull by the time I need them.

One thing I think im gonna start doing on my coyote snares is brown speed dipping some of the "re-usable" parts. Extensions, swivels, wammys, etc.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I would stay away from the "speed dip". If you want some color on them spray paint them in the summer and let the sun bake it in good and let them hang for a minimum of three weeks before setting them in the field. I like paint mine in August if things go to plan and they get set late september early october.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I worked with a guy that was speed dipping his snares. They can get some glops on them and hang up your snare. Not really any faster then boiing in baking soda. I have boiled mine in baking soda then boil them in logwood crystals. they look great when ou are done. for the most part my trail snares are painted and I do think this is very helpfull. I have found that on fresh snow and a full moon everyone see's your set up. I just do not have snow long enough to warrant changing the whole line out and replacing with white painted snares. with a new moon and clouds you can get away with a lot.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Try to set in the shade if possible. anchoring to the other side of the trail and setting in the shade can make a lot bigger difference than one would think.