Waxing traps

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Waxing traps

Post by 1Shooter »

Does anyone have a video of how YOU wax YOUR traps? I've seen a few different one's online, but the way it goes, one site is contradictory to the next. Just looking for pointers and a video would be great!
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Waxing traps

Post by lyonch »

i have one pot on the burner with a small amount of water in it boiling. Then i place the other tub in there full of wax and let it keep heating until the wax is all melted. Then i place my traps in the wax just long enough so when you pull them out they look wet and the wax is dripping off like water droplets. Just be careful with the wax because you dont want to have a wax fire on your hands :shock:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I melt about 20 lbs at a time in a metal pail. I can get about 4 traps at a time in there. you want your wax around 160 deg or so. leave the trap in there until it stops bubbleing (this is very important). The trap will then be the same temp as the wax. I do not like a thick coat of wax on my traps, just enough to cover all the moving parts. I have heard of guys throwing some Rosin in with the wax to make it more durable. I have not tried that yet. It is best to do this on a good hot summer day. and leave the traps in the sun to cool. the slower the cool down period the better the wax sticks to the steel.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Hot summer day, case of beer and boiling traps, thats the life!!!! I do the same thing as jamie, I use a metal bucket, I melt 10lbs of wax, I dont have as many traps as Jamie! I do 2 at a time, I drop them in for a minute or 2 pick them up and if the wax drips off like water there done!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"