Chain Length and other

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Chain Length and other

Post by LeviM »

For you guys that run earth anchors, what length chain do you use on your traps or would you use? I have been doing alot of reading and movie watching and everything is leading to 12"-18" of chain, with a swivel at the trap and one at the earth anchor. Whats everyones thoughts

How long of cable do you guys have on your earth anchors? my soil is mostly sandy, and it seems like 12"-15" will hold? what do you guys use?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Levi the 12"to 18" is the happy medium from those who run short to long. Not to get in that very complicated topic again but a swivel at the anchoring point and at the trap should be enough, some would want another in line.

Factory Sterlings come that exact way with Sterling swivels, IMO a far better swivel than a standard box swivel. That should say something.

Your sandy soil and my sandy soil may be different , if I am in sandy soil I would go deeper about 24" and use a sandy soil anchor, bigger diameter. A regular earth anchor here in sandy soil wouldn't hold crap, I am thinking your sandy soil is compared to your good black farmland soil. Which would still be my good holding soil.

One way to find out, drive one in now, give it tug, if you feel like you might prolapse ,it should be fine. :oops:
Randy Roede
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

thanks Randy, I am going to have to some trail and error and see what works for me and the conditions I have in my area. I got a few good starting points, thanks again
Last edited by LeviM on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I always go 3' on my chain with a crush proof swivel at the trap, mid chain and end. I think 18" for coyote is to short. poor trap and/or catch (anything short of a high wrist catch), muddy conditions, poor staking...............this can all be compounded with a short chain length. cable length on disposables just depends on soil type like
Randy said. You just need to get out therre and run sone traps and see what you are getting for a hook up. 3' of chain you will need a better anchor................but I run shock springs on my staked (coyote) traps and drags on everything else.
Coyotes Forever