Skunk Dispatch pole

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Skunk Dispatch pole

Post by lyonch »

Here are the pictures of my skunk dispatch pole. The CPVC are 5' length pieces of pipe. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and i can go into further detail. This is very easy to make and works great. I use a 12cc syringe that gets filled with Acetone. I also use a minumum of 1" needle at the smallest gauge i can find. Always move very slow towards the skunk and you do not need to back away, unless he points his backside at you. Then you can move quickly out of there. Make sure that when you poke the skunk right behind the shoulder, that you get the needle in all the way. Then simply press on the end of the 1/2 CPVC as the plunger. After the skunk walks around for approximately 30 seconds you will notice that he will eventually flip on his side. when he does this i always take another 12cc of acetone and give him one more shot right behind the shoulder for good measure.

Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Skunk Dispatch pole

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Thanks for posting buddy!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Yeah, thanks for putting this up! I was wondering how you'd attached the syringe at the end. Looks good, I'll have to make one.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

i bought a 6 pack of needles and leave at least one in the glovebox of the truck and at least one in the trapping pack at all times. Its just a tool that sits in the truck. It does suck to have to walk back to the truck to grab it, but it sure keeps them from spraying.
Chris Lyon

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

great post and pics
Coyotes Forever
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

OK so I've got to ask now that I've had two of these shitheads in my cat traps, why doesn't he squirt when you inject him? And we are talking about foothold traps right? The syringe and everything is not a problem but I can't see walking up that close to one to get him injected without getting a facefull of nastyness.
My old man said he used to shoot them behind the front shoulder and they wouldn't squirt and so I shot the first one I caught with my .204 from about fifty yards and that worked out good, but the second one was dug in under a short juniper tree so I tried to pop him with my pistol and you can guess what happened. :shock: :evil: I had to walk away from a MJ600 till next week because I could take the smell of trying to retrieve it. :evil: :evil:
Also if you do dispatch one without it sqirting is it OK to just stuff him into the hole your trapping in front of and reset?
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

EO caller i will answer your question soon, i just have a lot going on at work at the moment (suprisingly) :shock:
Chris Lyon

lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

EO caller wrote:OK so I've got to ask now that I've had two of these shitheads in my cat traps, why doesn't he squirt when you inject him? And we are talking about foothold traps right? The syringe and everything is not a problem but I can't see walking up that close to one to get him injected without getting a facefull of nastyness.
My old man said he used to shoot them behind the front shoulder and they wouldn't squirt and so I shot the first one I caught with my .204 from about fifty yards and that worked out good, but the second one was dug in under a short juniper tree so I tried to pop him with my pistol and you can guess what happened. :shock: :evil: I had to walk away from a MJ600 till next week because I could take the smell of trying to retrieve it. :evil: :evil:
Also if you do dispatch one without it sqirting is it OK to just stuff him into the hole your trapping in front of and reset?

The main reason the skunk doesn't squirt is because his threat level isn't high enough to make him do it. You don't want to pin the skunk to the ground when you do this. Just push the needle in far enough to get it into the chest cavity, then hit the plunger on the end. Shooting them in the lungs only works on average about every 3rd one from my experience(i don't have a lot of them under my belt by shooting) i will try to shoot them when i get lazy and don't want to go back to the truck for the dispactch pole. When you approach a skunk, make sure you are downwind of him. I know that sounds dumb, but a skunk can't see hardly at all, but they can smell quite well. Approach the skunk extremely slow and quietly (dont be snapping sticks and kicking rocks around). I also always point the needle at the skunk and will let him sniff the end of the needle and get comfortable with the end of the pole being in his comfort zone. Most of the skunks that i have done this way will actually watch you put the needle in them. After you start hitting the plunger they are going to try and back away from you and you just need to be able to keep extending your arms to keep the needle in them. if you dont feel comfortable with the 5' pole, you can always get a 3/4" cpvc coupler and add another 5' piece of pipe onto the one you already have. Then add another 1/2" pipe inside the 5' one you jsut added and your pole goes from 5' to 10' of reach. There was a video of a guy doing this on youtube at one time, but i can't seem to find it :? It was mentioned to me from a very good trapper at one of the tournaments this season, that you can use that skunk to catch your next coyote just as you described :wink: Let me know if i missed anything in my long winded post :o
Chris Lyon

EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Nope, I think you covered it all and thanks alot. I wasn't aware of their lack of eyesight so that makes a ton more sense now. My wife has about a seven foot fiberglass pole with an attachment for a syringe at the end. You just have to cut off the flat part on the plunger so thats my dispatch pole,, whether she likes it or not. :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

EO caller wrote:My wife has about a seven foot fiberglass pole with an attachment for a syringe at the end. You just have to cut off the flat part on the plunger so thats my dispatch pole,, whether she likes it or not. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love it!!!! I do the same darn thing with household items around the house :lol: :lol: :lol:

Examples:

"Where in the hell did the mini fridge that was in the basement go?" - "I don't know, but i saw it my fur shed the other day" :lol: :lol:

"Where did the baster go?" - "Oh i used that to get some skunk essence out of my jug for DustyC!!"
"Who in the F*&$% is DustyC?" - "A guy on coyotehunter.net" :lol: :lol:

I like do now and explain later, rather than explain and then try to do :mrgreen:
Chris Lyon

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

guilty as well :mrgreen:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Well, like I always tell my wife after I get caught hijacking her stuff,"if I would've asked, you would have said no." :wink:
I had stole a bunch of suture for sewing coyote hides once and she found them in my tool box and freaked :evil: . I wasn't aware it was over five dollars per foot :shock: . It was nice stuff to work with though :D .
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

something to remember............a skunk spraying at your set is a good thing. I just shoot them, pull them out and move on to the next set. get down wind and it ain't so bad. I been sprayed to many times to count over the years. I get careless and seems like every year i get popped a few times more than I would like. remember though it does not hurt your set location one bit. I would change out the trap though.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Jamie, what if they skunk gets spray on your trap? should you replace that trap? Next question, do you want to move your trap out of the catch circle created by the skunk?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Coyotehunter wrote:remember though it does not hurt your set location one bit. I would change out the trap though.
with a skunk I reset right in the same location. that is true with everything except coyotes. cats, coon, fox, the set gets better. I am trying to kill all the coyotes out of a small area so I do not remake sets that I catch a coyote in, I set outside of the catch circle. I also use a lot of drags on my coyote sets so I can reuse that spot.........if you are production trapping and just taking the cream and moving on then a remake in the same spot is not as big of a deal with coyotes.
Coyotes Forever