dispatching of a trapped animal

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rhino
coyotehunter

dispatching of a trapped animal

Post by rhino »

What is the best way to dispatch a trapped coyote, fox or raccoon?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Well a bullet to the head on all three works fine. But. I prefer with a coyote to just give him a good thump on the end of the nose, that will usually do it. Fox you can give them a light tap on the end of the nose, it will stun them enough so you can grab them by the muzzle and fold his nose back towards his shoulder blades. This will dislocate the spine and kill him instantly, he won't feel a thing and no mess. Racoon I think it is best to get them away from your set or at least off to the side and shoot them in the head with a .22 short. They will thrash around and make a mess of everythig so I try to get them out of the catch circle. They are tough and I have found it quicker to shoot them.
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

thanks for the input. I want to get into trapping this coming fall. I am trying to pick up some pointers. So I might be pickin everyones brain for some ideas.
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

anyone have any dates they go by to start trapping in the fall? when are fox, coyote and raccoon starting to come in to good fur. Thanks
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Fox and coyote a good rule of thumb is October 15th however if you want to be on the safe side the end of october. Raccoon can be a little more touchy and i don't pursue them enough to give a confident answer
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Best way to tell, because if will vary from one region to another, is to knock one over and pelt it out. If you have milky white hide you are good to go, if you can see the hair folicols (blue or black leather) you may want to wait. Hours of daylight are what has the greatest effect on animals becoming prime. Many other factors will also influence this, elevation, overcast skies, and age of animal to name a few. Brad is correct in that the 15th of October is a good time to start. My dad and his buddies always waited till the 15th before taking coon. I have also heard the same about fox and coyote. You can not go wrong with skinning one and taking a look.
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

Thanks I appreciate the info!

Garrett