Three more Sunday

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

EO caller

Three more Sunday

Post by EO caller »

Two hole sets and a flat set. Same ranch that I've been on for about twelve days now. 8 caught so far.
bighole.jpg
bighole2.jpg
flatdrawset.jpg
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Three more Sunday

Post by Coyotehunter »

thats so cool. love the pics man
Coyotes Forever
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Thanks CH. Having a ball. Have a huge box of goodies coming from Mr. O'Gorman that my Dad got me for my B-Day. :D Can't wait. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great job!! You are catching those coyotes like i catch coon :oops: :lol:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Nice Job, I see your having good success of blown out dirt holes on a side bank. I noticed in MN, we can only get away with a 1" hole, with small backing, its intersting how different locations require different techniques!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Not alot of people trap around here anymore Levi. And even when they did they didn't use the bighole set. My dad didn't even use it much and he is a O'Gorman student. I've sorta felt out the county trappers around here that I know about there favorite set ups and they all include cow bones. Pelvis bone with a little lure in the holes and a trap in front. Skull for a piss post. They all said the big hole sets were to much work. :shock: :shock: I have one set were I have a small vertibre from a cow as part of the backing and they havn't touched it. I think I'm just doing something different and its working. But I'll change it up when I need to.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

EO caller wrote:Not alot of people trap around here anymore Levi. And even when they did they didn't use the bighole set. My dad didn't even use it much and he is a O'Gorman student. I've sorta felt out the county trappers around here that I know about there favorite set ups and they all include cow bones. Pelvis bone with a little lure in the holes and a trap in front. Skull for a piss post. They all said the big hole sets were to much work. :shock: :shock: I have one set were I have a small vertibre from a cow as part of the backing and they havn't touched it. I think I'm just doing something different and its working. But I'll change it up when I need to.
I am new to the game of coyote trapping, but I noticed to be successfull you need to willing to try different things and adapt to whats working. Keep up the good work, and I hope your chains are jinggling!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I noticed in MN, we can only get away with a 1" hole, with small backing
??? i don't understand that statement levi?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

better change your name to EO TRAPPER. :D good job
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Prairie Ghost wrote:
I noticed in MN, we can only get away with a 1" hole, with small backing
??? i don't understand that statement levi?
I have tried the 4" blown out on a side bank, with no response at all, no tracks, no sign. you put a 1" hole with small backing I have noticed within a couple days you will have a visitor.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Really?????? How high on the bank are you making the sets?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Not very high, My trap would set level on the ground and nice 4" hole on a side bank. I have also tried a 4" hole on there paths, were I have seen sign, all the traps around it has produced a coyote, and that one has yet to have a track around it. Same baits same lures. I dont know, it just something I have noticed.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

How deep is your hole? What angle? Is there a big pile of fresh dirt outside the hole when your done? I think its the fresh dirt that attracts them. I dig my holes about as deep as I can dig with my trowl and if I want to go deeper I'll get out the shovel. I also use use a pretty good chunk of lure. Lately its been powder river paste bait or deer scraps. But Its the newness of the hole and the smell of fresh dirt that gets them to come close to it I think.
And maybe too, someone else has them spooked around there when it comes to hole sets. Just like the bone sets around my area. :?:
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

When I do my blown out hole set, I try to make it look like a fresh badger hole on a side bank. I take my 4" auger and drill 45 degree angle, about 12" deep.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"