Hey im a newbie i need some help

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

coyote93
coyotehunter

Hey im a newbie i need some help

Post by coyote93 »

hey everyone I am 17, and i want to start trapping. Now since i am just starting out. i wnat to know because i cant afford to buy a whole bunch of diffrent traps up front right away. what few i should buy, and about how many. i am planing on trapping yotes, and coon, at first, and see how that goes then i will go from there. also if you guys could give me some tips on baits, and how to set my traps up would be greatly appreciated. also maybe good place to get good deals on ome traps. thanks everyone for all the help
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Hey im a newbie i need some help

Post by Coyotehunter »

take some time and read through the existing posts on here. most of that is is covered already..........in great detail.
Coyotes Forever
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

DITTO!!!!!!!!
"God hates a coward"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Here is a link talking about coyote traps:
http://www.coyotehunter.net/forums/view ... =10&t=1447

The quantity of traps all depends upon your budget, and the time you have available to tend to your trapline. In my opinion i would personally target coon your first year. Trapping coyotes can get just as frustrating, if not more, than trying to call them in. For coon i run any 1.5 coil spring (there are more coon caught in the cheap 1.5 dukes than any other trap) you can find with a pocket set at a creek or river. Use some type of fresh fish as your bait and you will get them. What is nice about a simple pocket set, is that you can catch more than just coon; mink and muskrats will also investigate these sets. I have caught the occassional beaver before too at these sets. If conibears are legal in your state, they can be a great tool when used correctly to trap coon as well. I would put a small line out to start with, in case you feel you dont like trapping, then your not out very much and don't have a lot to sell.

As far as getting cheap traps, www.trapperswarehouse.com has the best deal on duke traps that i could find. For coon this would be ok to use. For coyotes a lot of people highly recommend fully modified #2 or #3 bridgers. These traps i have found the cheapest at www.fntpost.com. Another good trap is the MB brand of traps. The ones you will want to look at are the 550 or 650 size for the MB brand. For conibears i would stick with duke myself and get those at either website.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!