Favorite coyote trap and why?

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

xdeano
coyotehunter

Re: Favorite coyote trap and why?

Post by xdeano »

CH, i'll agree with you, you do have to tinker with a NW to get it the way it should be. But they do sell them 4 coiled, and offset with a heavy base on them also. Which will work right out of the box. You can laminate them if you want to.

CL, the Bridger is basically a NW, slightly larger but if you take a 1.75NW and lay it side by side with a 2 bridger, you'll have a hell of a time deciding which is which. I'm not a big fan of the rubber jaws, they don't hold any better and they cut off circulation to the foot even more than a regular cast jaw. People like to see that rubber but have never seen the results of a BMP. They look like a good trap though. Sterlings are an excellent trap.

And as far as escape proof, i'd say if they can get out of that you've got problems. Mine usually hit right in the middle of the pad or right at the back edge of the pan, usually not as high on the wrist.

deano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

I too agree, "cheaper" traps need to be doctored a bit to be ready.

But its also a one time deal, after that its just maintenance, but ANY trap is gonna have certain components wear out or break over time and use. Springs wear out, traps get squashed by cows (or John Deeres), dogs get bent and twisted up, etc.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i'm learning alot here everyone :D . i may be getting the trapping bug. if i was to just target red fox,coyote and coon,which 1 trap would be a good choice for a 24 hour check?? are inline swivels needed?? instead of stakes ,would those earth ancors be ok?? i did traps 25 years ago and all i had was victor 1.5 coils. they seemed to hold coon/fox ok but i can't remember how many misses/pullouts i had
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

if targeting fox and coyote.........more fox then coyote I would go with the #2 mod. bridger...........if more coyote than fox the #3 would be my choice. On the #3 I like the 1/4" off set more than the 3/16
Coyotes Forever
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

bucksnbears wrote:i'm learning alot here everyone :D . i may be getting the trapping bug. if i was to just target red fox,coyote and coon,which 1 trap would be a good choice for a 24 hour check?? are inline swivels needed?? instead of stakes ,would those earth ancors be ok?? i did traps 25 years ago and all i had was victor 1.5 coils. they seemed to hold coon/fox ok but i can't remember how many misses/pullouts i had
The more swivels the better. I don't know anything about the disposable stakes. I've never used them but I know lots of guys do.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

bucksnbears wrote:i'm learning alot here everyone :D . i may be getting the trapping bug. if i was to just target red fox,coyote and coon,which 1 trap would be a good choice for a 24 hour check?? are inline swivels needed?? instead of stakes ,would those earth ancors be ok?? i did traps 25 years ago and all i had was victor 1.5 coils. they seemed to hold coon/fox ok but i can't remember how many misses/pullouts i had
3 swivels seems to be standard for most. On a 24 hour check though two swivels is more than ample. I have some with both, never had any problems arise because of only having two swivels.

Once again, im gonna buck the "big trap" trend. If most of your targets are gonna be fox or coon, id go with a GOOD 1.75. You could run into some chewing issues with coon under a set of #2 jaws. Ive had problems with chewing under a 1.75 too, but if your looking at a mixed bag I think the 1.75 is better, especially with coon on the menu.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Yep agree, swivels are a good thing. Center swivel on the trap, one in the center of the chain, and one at the end. I like 3' of chain, some like less, it's all preference.

Disposiable stakes are awesome. I use the PoGo style stakes, they're easy to make yourself so all you really need is a pounder and make your own. All you need is some fender washers, a J-hook and a couple of double farrels and some cable.

Bridgers are a very good trap.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

ok when did coon get into the mix?? :D I would agree about the chewing but with the lamination I do not loose many but not a prefered set up for coon. I like the 1.5 lamenated for coon. I run 3' of chain and 3 swivels with shock springs on my coyote gear. disposable are great. just depends on the dirt you have to figure out how long and what brand you can get away with.
Coyotes Forever
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

BnB asked about fox, coyote, and coon.

Which is tough as theres just not one "great" trap for all three.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I think we need to talk about the benefits of a snare...........I love snares. Best bang for the buck for coyote and fox...even coon with the right location and set up. I don't think they are a great tool for cats or at least not as good as a trap. Great discussion, lots of good info.
Coyotes Forever
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Coyotehunter wrote:I think we need to talk about the benefits of a snare...........I love snares. Best bang for the buck for coyote and fox...even coon with the right location and set up. I don't think they are a great tool for cats or at least not as good as a trap. Great discussion, lots of good info.
Amen to that!

Just wish we had more chance to use them most years before we have so much damn snow.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I totally agree, a good snare is a deadly tool and can greatly increase your numbers. The right lock means a lot with a snare.

xdeano
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I agree. Snares are fast to set, low cost and very effective. I generally don't set a trap without hanging a few snares around the set.(if the country allows the cover and spots to hang them.) Usually here in Wyoming theres always a good patch of brush by where you are setting a trap.
I generally use 1/16 x1/19 garrotting cable 5' long, with cam locks, 75# choke spring, swivel and a whammy. I can set them on kill poles, snare supports, or just a piece of #9 wire in the heavy brush. I build my tie offs various differtent lengths to allow me to adjust to the entanglement situation I'm settting in.
"God hates a coward"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I agree that snares are an awesome way to go, but in MN, you will quickly learn that the laws here aren't the best for a snaresman. Daily checks, loop can not be any bigger than 10", can't set on a deer trail, and the top of the snare loop can't be any higher than 16" off of the ground. We are pushing for at least a 3 day check, but that gets shot down immediately every time. They think someones local pet is going to freeze to death if it gets caught in a snare in the middle of winter here.

In my opinion the best trap that will take care of all 3, would be an MB550 (the two coiled version). They have good cast jaws, built like a brick shithouse to hold up to a coyote, but yet small enough to hold a coon, and ready to go out of the box if you so choose to do so. Bucks i use the pogo anchors myself. Xdeano said it best, they are cheap, quick, and hold unbilievebly well. My stakes are 10" long and i can't pull them out by hand. I would recommend adding (this is all personal preference) 2' of good chain, weld the j-hooks shut, and maybe add a swivel if you think it is needed.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i think i'm gonna get some traps with the $ Dusty owes me for putting up rats. will a duke 1.5 be a decent trap if coyotes ar'nt a concern
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."