modified traps?

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

modified traps?

Post by leadbiscuit »

I've been looking through some of the posts in this area and I've noticed you fellas talk quite a bit about modifying different traps. I'm not really interested in starting to trap but I've been a welder/steelworker for 15 or 16 years now and I'm curious about the changes you make to your gear. I would like to learn more about it. If any of you could post a few pics of what you're doing along with a desciption, I would be grateful for it.

leadbiscuit
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Re: modified traps?

Post by barebackjack »

Better yet, you come over and ill employ your welding skills and you can get hands on modifying experience! :wink:

I can weld, but its not pretty and nearby kids get to learn new words.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Let me see what i can come up with LeadB.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Lamination: Welding a piece of number nine wire, flat stock of various sizes ect on at least one side of the jaw face (top, bottom or both) so that you have a bigger piece of steel in contact with the leg to displace the power and reduce damage.

Offset: welding a small piece on or square stock on both the face of the jaws to keep them from closing 100% to touching (1/4" is common) to again make them more of a handcuff and reduce damage and make the animal more comfortable.

Other things that welding for a trapper is a good trade to know. Welding jay hooks shut (a must for coyote work), some guys go as far as welding on the base plates a D rings instead of having the trap company do them. A lot of this is done not on brand new traps (easier to have the company do them) However a lot of guys find a good deal on traps at an auction or such of somebodies collection and then modify them for their own use.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

LeadB - here is a link showing some of the different modifications that are done to a trap(look at the same size trap and all the different forms they can come in). These same modifications can be done to several different brands of traps. These are mainly just foothold modifications. There are also modifications that can be done to conibears to help better them as well.

http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapp ... ing+Traps/
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

BBJ, if I wasn't so damned far away I'd be there in a flash. The traps I looked at on the link were standard and modified Bridgers. It looks like the factory offset traps have the working face of the jaws ground back a bit. Good link. I'm starting to follow what you guys are talking about. So, a fully modified trap has laminated jaws and an additional piece of flatbar welded to the bottom where the d-ring hooks in? Is that about it? Thanks guys.

leadbiscuit
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

They are offset also. (Keeping space between the jars when the trap is closed by usually 3/16 to 1/4")
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

10-4. Thanks PG