Post by Coyotehunter »

DSmobileSCAN-5.jpg
DSmobileSCAN-5_001.jpg
DSmobileSCAN-5_002.jpg
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Effectiveness and Selectivity of neck snares

Post by Tim Anderson »

Good read.. I would also have to agree that heavier snare cable needs to be used when dealing with coyotes..
I bought some pre-made snares from Mn. trap-line products a few years back set up for Mn. snare laws, have'nt had a chance to use them yet but have something to atleast compare with when I look at or find other snares being used in my area.
This year we killed 5 coyotes that had snares around the neck of four coyotes and the other had it around its foot. (ugly)
All the snares had the deer stops/kill springs on them but the coyotes managed to pull one down enough so the snare could hold its foot.. Three of the snares could be pulled loose with the hand while one around the neck stayed locked along with the foot catch coyote... From what I found these snares were used by just two part time trappers in the area and what both had in common was they were both useing what I call a fox snare, about half the dia. of the special coyote snares I have on hand..
I got a chance to talk with one of the trappers and he showed me what snares he was useing and also told me he had at least 7 chew outs so far this season. He showed me some of the chewed out snares he had.. All his trap checks are done each mourning so most of the coyotes were'nt in the snares for very long.. Anyway I explained that his snare cable was too small for coyotes, he gave me a funny look and said this is what all the pro's around here use..LOL Had him stop at the house and gave him one of mine to try and reconmended he get some for next season...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I run 1X19 - 1/16" cable for my trail snares and 7X7 - 5/64" on my fence snares. cam locks, choke springs, barrels swivels and 3/32" - 10' pig tails.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I have the MBS #7, 84" long 3/32" 7X7 cable, cam lock. with #9 end swivels, support collars, deer stops...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

the overall length on my trail snares is almost 14'. My fence snares are pretty simple, 10" 5/64 with a break away, cam lock and teeth filed in. On the trail snares I really have liked the double barrel swivels instead of the #9 swivels, mainly because the barrel swivels do not distort. Those #9 swivels at times will collapse and become inoperative.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I only put out a few snares the year before and ended up shooting what I was after so I don't have any snare kills at the moument or even know if I'm doing it right.. Was planning on putting some out this season but ended up useing Copper to get the coyotes instead.. Not alot of places I can use them without them causeing a problem as I found out first hand when Copper got caught in one this winter. Was lucky Copper was leash broke so she did'nt put up a struggle and pull the loop down to tight, plus it was one of those dam fox snares with a piss poor lock..

Here is one of my snares set up in the back yard, not sure if its right or not.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

that looks just fine. I ran about 350 or so this past winter. which is about typical for me. I had about 150 trail snares and 200 or so fence snares. Not great trail snaring over here but when I have a good spot I will put 6-12 in that location.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

For trail snareing are you talking about a cow /deer path or two tracks???
Don't have many of either one here and the coyotes don't seem to take the same path twice unless there is a dead pile....
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Game trails.......it can be any trail if stock is out of the pasture and I have sign.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

OK...