Badger Today

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Caught this one yesterday in a snare. A few nights ago I howled just before dark out where I trap. Some coyotes answered. I went back to where I thought I heard the family group the next day. I was on my 4-wheeler and found a nice trail along a fence line they were using just below a shelter belt. This is the results. Not too far from there probably a half mile , I found a dead cow that was ate down to the bones. I talked to the rancher and they said they were missing one when they moved their cattle to another pasture. That was the week before so it didn't take them long to devour the whole critter. Tomorrow , I check traps and snares so we'll see what happens. Image
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Great post Jerry, It is a hoot when you can locate a pair or group like that. Then get set up on them and get them killed. Last Wednesday I located a pair I had been trapping on with a howl after dark while checking traps. I was getting irritated that I was not picking them up. Went in two days later when I was able to get back were I heard them howl. With a good wind and the sun to my back,I decided to see if I couldn't fool them into thinking I was breakfast. I got in and shot the female at about the 10 minute mark. Tapped her on the shoulder at 200 yards. She was looking behind her while she was coming in but she got to the rocks and heavy brush, so I shot her there. I will go back next chance I get and see if I can't get that male.
Coyotes Forever
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

That's great!! You know what I'm talking about. People say when you locate them they will be gone or a long ways away from where you heard them howl. In my experience that is a bunch of crap. If they have good cover and food supply , they don't move very far at all. If I were you I would try just a little bit of hurt pup and wait a long time before you try some distress. Just my two cents.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Yep, once you figure out where their core area they seem to be always with in ear shot.
Coyotes Forever
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Well, I checked my traps today and look what I got. 4 coyotes. Caught two off the dead critter I mentioned earlier. Good looking coyotes. haven't caught a mangy one yet, "knock on wood" I put out some snares today and hope they will hit shortly. Found a dead deer that they ate . I saturated the area with snares. Man the weather has been awesome lately, but I wish it would get colder. Enjoy the pictures.

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

that is cool, a tub full of coyotes. are those snare supports in the tube? Looks like 1/4" rod? What traps are you useing?
Coyotes Forever
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Those are snare supports Jamie, but they are just #9soft annealed wire. What I do is buy the wire from Runnings. It is all rolled up. Well, I unwind it and lay it all out in a straight line. Then I tie one end off to something solid like the hitch on my truck. I tie the other end to the back of my 4 wheeler. Then I give a bunch of quick yanks with the 4-wheeler and it sort of makes it hard drawn and straight. Then I just cut them off to the lenght I want them for snares supports. Works real slick. Then I just put them in tubes on my 4 wheeler.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

alright, I used no. 9 back home but I find it to heavy for the light sage I have here. When I was trail snaring in minnesota there were lots of trees to wrap that 9 on. Not much for trees here. I have been useing 11 ga here. How are you useing it?
Coyotes Forever
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Jamie, it works fine where I'm snaring. We have a lot of buck brush which is just about the same size as #9 wire. I try to set in that as much as possible. The only negative thing about that is I can't use extensions. I have to drive stakes . I don't mind pulling them though. I have some high tensile #11 I will use for my cats in the deep country. Pretty good stuff. Catch you later. I'll be pulling up next week and moving to another spot about 7 miles away. That area has lots more trees and draws. I have my spots all marked with tape. Deer season closes this week-end so it will work out just right. I talked to a guy that has been deer hunting there and he has been seeing coyotes everytime out there. We need some good cold weather and sounds like we may be getting it soon. Coons and badgers are the thing to get. Cat prices are down except in your region. I have heard $125.00 in my region and higher in yours. Who knows. We have a lot of coon, but don't really want to get into them very bad.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Beutiful pics Jerry and some good info guys :wink:
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

nice work Jerry! Its good to hear trips from seasoned trappers like yourself. Thanks for all info that you post :D
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Jerry your doibng so good i can smell the success in minnesota :D God job and keep up hte great work!!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Hey nice job jerry. It's nice to have those critters that you can really gang set on. Keep up the good work and hopefully the weather will change.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

I would like to wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow. I'll leave you with a couple pictures. Image
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

That one likes to express itself
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!