New Trapping opportunities?

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Dcoy
Top Dog

New Trapping opportunities?

Post by Dcoy »

Hi.Not sure this the right place for this and,except skunks,coons and cats around my place,I haven't trapped since high school but I favor trapping so here goes:
What follows is a post I just entered this morning on a waterfowl site.I would hope you might try getting your trapping Assocs involved in this idea.I see it as a partial solution to waterfowl predation but also as an opportunity for trappers-and for getting more young trappers started and involved.
Dcoy

" live in waterfowl heaven-in the middle of the Coteau plateau.The waterfowl factory of N America.A 'factory'in trouble because of CRP/habitat loss.
If you're into waterfowl,really into it,there's nothing like watching the spectacle of the spring migration.So this morning,with most of the snows north of me,I sleep in a bit but eventually get going and decide to pour a jug of coffee and take a ride to gaze at the mass migration.Even before leaving my driveway the scene starts unfolding.Every puddle,every ice free slough edge,etc full of all kinds of waterfowl-almost in the yard.I head east and an 80 of my CRP running along the road has a number of mallard pairs buzzing it looking for,anxious to start,nesting.
However,all to often in this one hour ride I'm going past plowed up CRP,fields were no nesting will take place anymore.Then I start noticing other things,the remaining CRP not only has mallards circling,gliding,and buzzing it,it has hawks doing the same.Natural,nothing new,except as you drive you notice lots of hawks over CRP and then it slowly dawns on you,of course,there are more hawks,not totally but certainly 'more'in the sense they also are concentrated.Undeniably to the detriment of nesting waterfowl.
I could go on and on about my ride and what I saw but perhaps we should discuss this part of the problem of habitat loss-predation.We all know and have read about the benefit of large grasslands(CRP)dispersing predators.We may have followed with interest the tension between certain Orgs re 'predation'reduction as a goal and solution,but now,I believe,its time to really look at this issue again.
My view is we have options here.Options we should explore and pursue.My view is we need predator reduction programs more than ever.Perhaps we can't solve the CRP loss(see my other thread though on that)but by god we can implement predation reduction programs on the remaining CRP AND on State and Federal lands if we have the WILL to do so.How about engaging private trappers?Good for them,waterfowl,and the economy overall.
Please think about this and consider contacting your friends,reps,whoever in the various Orgs and governments.Time is ticking away.Lets not keep fiddling.
Creative minds can hopefully 'see'other solutions as well.I want future generations to be able to pour a cup and get out and enjoy this spring miracle."
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Great point and it is implemented in a lot of places. The tough thing is with private trappers that you don't plan on paying for their time and knowledge have a tough time justifing spending all that time out there when you do the most good (spring) and not getting anything for the furs. Delta waterfowl is the organization that has done the most research and implentation of a predator control program for the betterment of waterfowl.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Yes,thats what I love about Delta.
Whether private or public,I hope someone(Org or Govt)is thinking about that consequence of CRP loss.
Hell,last year I trapped 11 skunks,3 coon and 2 cats around my buildings here.Had no idea of the extent of the problem.Now to really concentrate them???WOW!(my neighbor joked that millions of pocket gophers will now have to move to town.)
My thought on private,particularly getting more young people started,was to get some Org or Govt entity to have a 'bounty'(wrong word politically perhaps)system set up.Kids could make some $$.
Might just fly if the trapping Assocs approached Delta as a start.
Just a thought.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

It is a little bit of a touchy subject to say the least. Paying any kind of bounties in my expierences usually makes more trouble then it solves although they do work in some places. People tend to let their ethics go out the window when they see dollar signs. (trapping where they shouldn't be). I would like to see something that would get more kids involved with trapping though.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Yes me too.Get em involved early,let them walk up to their first catch,likely hook em for life.
Beats video games and total ignorance about the real world.
I just hope Delta and Trappers see this opening-aren't many openings in that area anymore.
There's a need,hope its filled and filled in the right way.Unfortunately,once the need is recognized its likely to be filled in some expensive ineffective way.Drugs,electric predator fences,some BS politically correct type of crap.