Snaring Success

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Re: Snaring Success

Post by RandyRoede »

Tyler, we are funded from three different sources and the complications there of would make the change to a program like you have in ND very difficult if not impossible.
Randy Roede
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Boy that is nice to have a liberal check like that we are on seven days for snares and 72 hours for traps.

Coyotehunter is right about putting bubble gum on the whole down here if you don't take the den. I have had the oppurtunity to work with in my opinion one of the best denners in the country and there is certainly a lot to learn. If you get the old ones killed you bought yourself three days to a week at best before someone comes in and starts killing for them again. ( At least in my area)

Tyler are the fox starting to come back over your way at all yet?

I have to agree one coyote or one pair can be more important than killing 50 in certain situations. I simply set some goals for myself so i have some more incentive and drive during the slow seasons.

Tyler what kind of dog are you using?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

Prairie Ghost,
I am still working on my denning skills, It would be great to learn from somebody with that much experience.

It looks like the fox population here has showed some increase. You will find pockets that have descent populations. I have seen quite a few fox dens in the area, mostly near farm yards or outside of small cities. I don't know if the increasing coyote population will have an impact on there comeback or not. Sure would be nice to see there numbers back up.

I have a Mountain Cur that I am using right now, that is what most of the guys here in ND use. He is almost too agressive sometimes, cost me a double this morning on a calf kill. I probably should have shot the female first though, but she hung back at about 200yds. and the male came charging. He chased the female into a corn field and could never pull her back out. Oh well, hopefully she will be in a trap tommorrow. If I get a chance I'll post a few pics in the photo area.
You use Curs too I thought, is that right?
I've got a sickness and the only cure is more coyotes
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Ya i run a Kemmer Cur that i bought from Russell in watford city last year. I aslo have a pup right now that has a mish mash of Redbone, Walker, Stevens Cur, Mt Cur, and Leopard Cur.

Have you seen how big the pups are off of that pair? If the pups are real big and looking like coyotes the female will probably just pack them up and leave the area when she sees you dog from now on. If they were that aggressive and both came in to wrestle with the dogs you might have a chance of catching them in a hole still.

Let us know if you get her cleaned up with some pics!!
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

Russell quite and started working for the oil companies, More money I guess. I think he is nuts. Let me know how things go with that pup.
Yeah that pair was pretty aggressive with the dog. I am guessing they had a late litter of pups. It is a tough area to work pretty much all crop fields. I spotted them cruising the edge of the corn field which is surrounded by wheat. I snuck in to about 400 yards. Just blew a few notes on the Tally Ho and they both came charging. The male saw the dog and started straight at him. The dog and the coyote were bouncing around like nuts trying to find each other in the wheat. They found each other and he chased him in to about 40 yards where I shot him. I started a pup distress and the female came back in to about 150 but I just couldn't get a shot, It was extremely frustrating, I could just get glimpses of her. Finally they both went in the corn field and she never came back out. My dog came back after about 10 min. The dog was just to aggressive with her, he never gave her a chance to work in. I sat for quite a while then left. I was contemplating whether to come back and call without the dog, or set some traps. I decided to walk back in later and set some traps along the edge of the corn. I made three sets quick, but I made the mistake of bringing my dog with me and he took off into the corn field, I could hear him chasing her around in there, she was barking and howling at him. I called him back with the collar and got out of there. She never saw or winded me so I'm thinking she will stick around. I am assuming they have the pups in the corn but I never saw any. No coyotes in the traps this morning. I am going to set up tommorow without the dog and bring my shotgun and rifle this time. It's so much easier to tell what's going on in pasture areas. That was kind of long winded, but let me know if you have any suggestions.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

call the plane :lol: :lol:

If you were close to the pups I would assume by now she is up and gone. If I am on pups and get the pair in but only put the male down by the next day she has packed the pups off. If I get the female first (which is about a must) the male will stick around and typically be there for me in the morning, up all night looking for the the bitch. A couple of barks and he will about run a guy over but that female seems to forget about that male pretty quick. Good luck with that. Let us know how it goes.
Coyotes Forever
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Tyler, first how close is that cornfield to the calving pasture, this was a calf kill correct?

Does the cornfield have a pivot in it? Why I am asking is these coyotes will need a water source somewhere nearby. If your going to set I would set where ever that is. At least a travel corridor to that source. You should be able to tell which they are using tracks in the mud etc. If there is a pivot and this is the only cornfield around they are proably still in it.

Did you locate around the kill before light to see who was around.

If they are still in there, snares in the rows being used works pretty slick, usually you can find the rows they like from the sign.

Don't worry about your dogs agression it's far better to have a dog that way vs. the other, to timid. Was the wheat field still in that you had them in?

They may move, but you should be able to find them with a little work locating at nite. Once you do it sounds like the bitch is pretty agressive and she should show. You may just get a shot with her lookn out of the cover,but she should show.

I've killed them every which way, male female both etc. The agression or lack of it in the coyotes dictates how they will act on a return visit, and it sounds like you got a slappin Sally, a nickname for an agressive female coyote that comes into the dogs teeth showin and tail slappin side to side a fighter.

Not knowing the country etc. amount of row crops, water , how many head are they calvin and how far into are they?

Did they slick up the calf?

Alot of questions for ya, Or you could just call the plane and hope they catch them in the open, doesn't sound like this would be to good of an aerial hunting area.

Hang in there kid!!!
Randy Roede
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

The calf was killed in the landowners yard he has 400 calves in pasture at another location and had seven that were having trouble so he kept them in the coral. One was killed and fed on another had bite marks on his hind legs. The field is about 1/2 mile from his place, the wheat is still standing and surrounds the corn. This covers about 1/2 a section. A large slough with cattails covers the rest. They are using the slough for water, I camped there the first night they were the only pair within 2 miles that I heard.
She worked a flat set I had there last night, stepped right next to the pan. Unbelievable that rarely happens for me, I use good guides and should have connected. I circled the corn field, pup tracks everywhere on the far side of the corn, there still there. Pups must be pretty small yet from looking at the sign, but they aren't using the hole anymore. The den was real close to where I took one last year on a fenceline by the slough not to far off. The problem is I am busy as sh!t, had to blow beaver dams today and again tommorow on the far side of my district. And work a bunch of other complaints. It is about 55 miles one way to get to the spot from my house. If I had more time to work the spot I think I would have it cleaned up. The airplane might be able to pick them out in the wheat, If I stay busy like this I may have them take a look and work a couple other spots I've got. Randy, that snare idea sounds pretty slick if I can find the lanes they travel the most. She will come in to calling again, but I'll either have to sit in the wheat and hope she doesn't circle downwind without me seeing her. Or I'll have to try pulling her across the wheat field a little less then 1/2 mile to an open area near the slough. There going to cut that wheat soon and I don't want a half dozen traps demolished, If that wheat is cut on monday and she sticks around it will be a done deal all I'll have to do is get her to poke her head out and thats it. Then I should be able to clean the pups up with traps later. The landowner probably won't have any more problems with calves here, but they have been killing his chickens too last week. I just don't like leaving a job unfinished but I am headed to Western,ND this weekend to scout for bowhunting. Landowner hasn't had any more issues since I took the one, so he is happy for now :)
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

If you know were the pups are play grounding, I would take the dogs in with a shot gun and be done by noon. I have had to do that several times this year. The dogs either catch them on the ground or run them in to a hole. If they hole up I gas them and pull them out to verify the kill. I shot one pair (she showed 5)with the helicopter and came back with the dogs that afternoon picked up 1 pup. Came back the next morning and got the other 4 in a couple of hours. If your dogs have half a nose you should have no problems. If the Bitch wants to raise a fit about it then bonus. We use the dogs alot like that over in this country and I can realy clean up sage brush camping pups quick if I know where they are generaly spendy their time.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Boy that is kind of a mess tyler....damn beavers!!!

I agree with your dog being that aggressive he should have no problem wrangling a few pups up for ya if you can get in there fairly soon.

If they get the wheat cut i would get the plane in the air and head into that corn with your dogs and what he dosen't get caught will hopefully come squirting out for the fixed wing.

Have you guys found a gunner to replace dean yet?
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

Sorry I haven't responded in a while I have had quite a few complaints lately. Well I caught that female a while back and had some pups in snares in between the wheat and corn. Below is the picture of the coyote I caught and another one I took calling the other day on a different calf kill. I must not have the date set on the camera because the date said 2004. Anyway they cut that wheat, I am having the plane come in later this week and work three or four spots in that area. One airplane for the whole state means you have to wait your turn, a real pain. By the time they can make it I am usually done with the spot.
coyotehunter, It was tough with all the cover to use the dog on the pups. I do that a lot in pasture area where they hold in some brush. The dog can usually find most of them.
Prairie Ghost, Dean was replaced by a guy that used to work for the ND Game and Fish. He is doing pretty well. Dean is enjoying working in the field, I think he was getting sick of gunning full time.
2004_0313Image0005.JPG
2004_0313Image0005.JPG (84.25 KiB) Viewed 9797 times
2004_0313Image0010.JPG
2004_0313Image0010.JPG (89.89 KiB) Viewed 9797 times
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Nice job , the airplane is nice, but if you can handle it on the ground you will be ahead in the long run. Getting your producers to believe in your ability on the ground to kill coyotes will get them out of the airplane cure for all scenario. it will also improve your relations with the recreational calllers, keeping your airplane work to a minimum.
Randy Roede
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

Very true Randy, a lot of producers think the airplane is the only way to solve the problem. I try to only use the airplane when I get too far behind or in perfect situations where I know they can take care of the problem in a short time and it might take me a lot longer on the ground.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Great pics, and thanks for the update. If you can stay ahead of the complaint calls, doing it on the ground is the way to go. Eastern North Dakota allows you probably to do most of it on the ground. I grew up just down the road from where you are working and know the area well. Over here on sheep I get a call if someone sees a track. If it was not for the amount of denning we do in the spring we would get nothing but calls verifying losses. Things starting to slow down a bit here, most of the lambs (70,000 +/-) will be going to market starting 15Sept. We winter a bunch of ewes in some real badland coutry though (one pasture is 26 sections with 6,000 head) and our winters can be fairly busy up in the rough stuff.
Coyotes Forever
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

Coyotehunter,
Your right the country around here is more suited for ground work in a lot of spots which I like. Our program here is a little different, I work for a ton of different cooperators. Sometimes I will work a spot and take care of the problem and I will never hear from them again. But there are some spots where I pretty much have to work year round to keep up. I bet in that badlands stuff they wouldn't even know if they were having losses. That is a big area and a lot of sheep. I bet that area is fun to work though. That is perfect if you do any other hunting, kind of gives you a bit of a break in the fall once they move the lambs out.