Snaring Success

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

huntinND
coyotehunter

Snaring Success

Post by huntinND »

This picture isn't meant to be a bragging photo, but I just wanted to share with you all how effective winter time snaring can be. I use draw stations in thick brush where landowners are having consistance livestock losses each year. Cold weather puts coyotes on the move and they really hit the carcasses heavy during these times. They have to find a lot of food to keep up with there energy demands in cold weather and once they find the carcasses they will be back. Coyotes cover a lot of ground in the winter and are a little more leniant with territorial boundaries. That allows you to take high numbers of coyotes from key travel routes in certain locations. The first real cold weather had hit North Dakota and I had eight draw stations set up on several properties. The First photo shows the type of brush I am snaring and the second picture shows the total from my first check.
Attachments
2008_0218Image0001.JPG
2008_0218Image0001.JPG (100.84 KiB) Viewed 13657 times
2008_0218Image0003.JPG
2008_0218Image0003.JPG (87.16 KiB) Viewed 13658 times
I've got a sickness and the only cure is more coyotes
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Snaring Success

Post by lyonch »

Its not bragging fella :D We know what profession you are in and you need to put those type of numbers up to keep your job. Great job on keeping those farmers happy :D P.S. Those are a shitload of coyotes :shock:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

:shock:

Holly Balls!!! Now thats killing some coyotes
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

It is different here with the draw stations, I put down 2 horses and 2 cows last early last winter. I set up 6 locations and had hits on only 3 of them and of those 2 of those locations I caught almost as many bobcats as I did coyotes. If I was down south in the mountains It would be different but the availability of food and milder weather to the north keeps the pressure off of the coyotes to scavenge. Great photo and post. That is all from one check..........nice. You have a more liberal trap check in Nodak as well, correct? For us it is 7 days on snares and 3 for traps. If they had been hitting them harder I would have had more stations set up. Our rabbit population took a huge hit this past spring and I am hopeful that the coyotes will be more prone to hit those draw stations this coming fall and winter. Again, great post and pics, keep them coming.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Nice work its snaring can really work well in the right situation
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

That's from one check?????? First check?????

Either there is a helluva alot more coyotes up there than I think or i got to throw throw the BS flag!!!!!!

Calling ought to be spectactular around there!!!!

Any of you in the Classic ought to find out where this is.

Tyler you are a WS trapper in ND?????
Last edited by RandyRoede on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Randy Roede
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

I think the cold weather and growing coyote population in my area make snaring one of the most productive tools. I can see where draw stations wouldn't work as well in warmer climates. I have found deer carcasses to be more productive then anything else, but then again I have access to as many deer as I want. I start picking up road kills in November and get as many as I will need for the winter. I take an axe with me and chop them open to get more scent out there and allow them to feed on the frozen carcass better. Our trap check law is very liberal on snares and traps, in fact there is no regulation on the amount of days between checks. So in the above situation it had probably been two or three weeks in between checks. I covered nine counties at that time so I had to plan my routes accordingly. It may seem like a large number for one check but on average I will have four to six coyotes at each station for the first two or three checks. I remember one spot that I snare, it is about a 1/4 mile stretch of brush, I had three deer carcasses and about thirty some snares in there. I had eleven coyotes in that one area. They have sheep and cattle in that area and it is a year round deal keeping the coyotes under control around there. I really only have about eight or ten really good snaring spots in my district, a lot of areas have no brush and I don't like snaring in cattails to much, you catch a couple and they rip up the area. Also a lot of deer to deal with. I also have a ATV with snow tracks that allows me access even when the snow gets very deep. I try to hold off on a lot spots until later in the winter so I don't get in the way of any fur hunters or trappers. Early in the winter I like to do a lot of calling and equipment maintenence to pass the time. Overall a good tool around here. Just trying to keep the landowners happy and the losses to a minimum at some of these problem spots.
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

OK, they have been sittin for two to three weeks, now it's making sense!!!!
Randy Roede
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

I just noticed the last post and decided I probably shouldn't involve my work in any posts I guess. ADC is much different then fur trapping or harvesting and some people don't understand this. There are only nine field employees in the state and we cover large areas.

I feel that I have some good information and I would like to learn information from others. And I really like the way coyotehunter set up the site. That is the only reason I joined the site. I don't care about numbers or trying to impress people with stories or anything like that.
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Tyler, you don't have to worry about anything but keeping your landowners happy!!!!

Numbers in our line of work may bite ya. Whether it is 1 -100 as long as the killin stops is the most important thing.

How long have you been on??
Randy Roede
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

Whether it is 1 -100 as long as the killin stops is the most important thing.
That is exactly right. That is the name of the game, generally you are after a pair that is doing damage. But in certain spots some preventative work is needed, otherwise you would spend to much time out at these spots when killing starts and fall behind in other areas.
I have been working for WS in ND for almost three years now, and I also worked for WS in AZ and WI. I love this line of work. I am still a newbe compared to a lot of coyote men out there but I love picking up new info, and I can still handle my complaints well. Even though my district may not be the most coyote rich part of the state, when you cover nine counties you are busy all of the time. Beaver trapping Misc. complaints like coons, skunks etc. are also another large aspect of the job.
Randy do you work in SD?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

You got to love the perks. I am getting anxious to start putting out snares and M44's. Hopefully starting 15Aug I will start getting my fence snares out and guns starting the first of Sept. I fly alot in the spring and summer, with a ton of denning. Calling is something I do year round but really hit it hard Apr, May, Jun, and Jul. There is a big emphasis on denning in this country with a "not impressed yet" look until you have proven yourself a good denner. About the toughest thing I have had to do in all the years I have been hunting. Ranchers are only happy for a moment when you call in and shoot the pair, and fully expect you to stay untill the den has been found and removed. Typically, if you do not locate the den you have only put a finger in the dike. We do alot of calling and aerial gunning Late Feb., Mar, and Apr just to avoid as much digging as possible. Get them before they get in the hole mentality.
Coyotes Forever
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

Your lucky if you have some sheep men that actually have some good fences. Half of the spots I have I would have to set about 50 snares to cover all of the spots. They don't maintain them very well. I call on pretty much every kill complaint I get in the spring and depending on how well I did in late winter or early spring on maintenence it may be all I need to do. Ranchers aren't as picky about our denning here, but to be honest I work more calf kills then anything. The sheep ranches around here aren't anything close to your area. Small flocks ranging from hobby farmers to maybe a 1000 or so. The airplane is a huge asset when it comes to finding dens. I have spent hours with the dog walking areas and it is a pain. The dog I have is not the best trailer, our pilot told me I should shoot him :lol: but he hasn't been out on a calling stand while he was working.
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Yes tyler. I am a SD state trapper, been here since Jan. of 2002.

Trapped for over 30 years, called for 20 now, and still learning something everyday out.

Spot and stalked reds in the NW corner of Ia. since I was 14 or so, coyotes moved in in the late 80's started hunting them along with calling, it then turned into year round calling deal, traveling numerous times a year out here, along with developing decoy dogs before I had ever heard of one. The only reason I even thought of it was I had farmers dogs getting beat up by coyotes and it just sort of clicked. This is long before the internet, videos, etc, it was a ,by the seat of your pants deal and you were totally on your own. Same way with trapping.

I know I owned the first howler in Osceola county, that didn't last long, I also know I got alot of help moving from my friends who are pickup hunters back there!!!!LOL A guy can really take some of the numbers out of that country with a call and some traps and snares before the snow comes and they get into full gear. I always threaten to come back in late May or so and do some dennin when i am back there havin a beer with them. Funny thing, they never seem to be in favor of that!!

I like your attitude Tyler, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders, sometimes it only takes a few posts from a guy to get a feel about what he's all about.

From this 50 year old ADC guy to you I wish ya the best!!!!
Randy Roede
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

Thanks for the kind words Randy, it is guys like you that I look up to and would like to get to know. All of your experience and expertise is something people can learn from. You were one smart guy to start using dogs, I feel naked when I don't have mine on stand.
I heard that SD is starting to switch over to federal, are you having to make any changes?