Lyonch trapping 08

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Lyonch trapping 08

Post by lyonch »

I normally use footholds for fox too but the fox as i mentioned before the pics that this one was completely accidental. It was a trail set for coon. I never reset the same trap on a trail if i catch one. If there is no critter there there is no reason for the a dog to run the trail. I also make sure i dont set right next to someones house. i feel that you are more apt to catch a dog in a bucket set than a trail set.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Well here are some pics from the past week.

This one was so cold he was shivering when i come up to him. He was a peg legged coon and i caught him by the peg legg barely. If he would have pulled hard enough it would have been a minor flesh wound if he would have pulled out.

Here's a double on coon in trail sets!

The next two are coon caught in trail set

A group picture of the days catch.

Here is my first otter!! The otter was 42 inches from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail. Jamie does that freezer look familiar?

This coon cracked me up!! Normally every coon i have caught in a foot hold on land has been so mad and they would charge and do there little growl and all that good stuff but this one was a different story. LOL when i went to dispatch the coon everytime i would get ready to take care of buisness he would put his left paw over his eyes. I was shaking from laughing so hard that i had to put the gun down twice!! He would put his paw over his eyes like "O' dear Lord i dont wanna watch this, it isn't gonna be good!!" LOL it was a big boar coon and with a pussy attitude LOL.
Last edited by lyonch on Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Lyon

Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Nice work! That otter is cool.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

geez lyonch i started laughing just thinking of that coon blinding itself

what do you think you might get for that otter?
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I dont know what i will get for the otter?? I refrenced my chart for sizing and it says that an otter that is 38 inches and larger says it is an extra large otter. So i thought what the heck if its a nice one then i might as well have it tanned and add it to the wall of furs :D After i see the december auction then i will decide if the money out ways the trophy status :D
Chris Lyon

lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Well i dont have any pictures cause the battery in the camera was dead but last night i caught a fox and when i cam up to it she was dead and pulled to the end of chain. At first i saw some blood and thought someone dispatched it for me but after i skun it out there were a lot of things that were messed up!! It's front shoulder that was in the trap was broke, there was a chunk of meat missing in the ass end of it, there were lacerations on its side, tooth holes in its back, and i think the final blow was when something bit it right behind the ears in the neck region. Im assuming it was a coyote but i am curious if there is any other critter that would attack a fox that is in a trap besides a coyote!!
Chris Lyon

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

lyonch

That is too bad you didn't have a camera with that would have been neat to see. I have heard where coyotes will kill a fox if they get the chance so I suppose that could be.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

From what you described i would say two coyotes killed the fox.. I had it happen once except it was only one coyote, it just bit the fox in the back of neck and killed it... Next mourning when i was driveing in to check my traps i spotted the coyote on a hay-bail about 100 yds away sleeping..
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Did it look like this?? I had to find the body, the only thing left in the trap was the hind leg.

Randy Roede
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Randy it wasn't that brutal of a killing. There were no bod parts ripped off from the body or mangled that bad. There were lashes in the sides and teeth marks in the back and neck of the fox. The chain was pulled tight and there wasn't a catch circle. It reminded me of a picture that jamie posted a while back of a bobcat that was killed by a coyote. It had a lot of the same markings!!
Chris Lyon

lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Well here's last night's check!!! Not all checks go as planned and i figured i would post some pics of what really happens on a trap line :lol:

Here is a picture of a wonderful squirrell (tree rat)!! He is a trophy of a life time and hard to come by these days since they are such a sought after trophy of all hunters :wink:

Then the very next trap i thought well its about damn time i catch a coon as i drove up to it. Lone and behold its the mystical Badger!!! After a quick woo flippin whoo!!! The gold medal animal :wink: was loaded up and placed right next to the wonderful tree rat :D

After that mystical badger was caught i struggled pulling stakes out of frozen ground all night trying to pull my line and as i come up to the very last trap to pull i caught the trophy of all trophies. It was the hardest animal to catch in my kneck of the woods. A beautiful plump rabbit!!! I almost called the taxidermist to tell him i caught the trophy of all trophies :lol:

I was really tired last night and got really mad pulling stakes out of frozen ground :evil: So i guess i was really happy with my results for all that hardwork :lol:
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

There you go finally catching what I have been catching all year! One night I had 3 squirrels, a skunk, a rabbit, and cat! Now talk about fustrating, everything but what you want
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

great pics. yep it is like xmas every time you check traps................or is like a box of chocolates :?: :?:
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:great pics. yep it is like xmas every time you check traps................or is like a box of chocolates :?: :?:
I am thinking its more like a box of chocolates of late. You never what you will get! Actually I feel more like "forrest Gump" everytime I check traps!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Here is last nights christmas present :D

Last edited by lyonch on Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Lyon