Lyonch trapping 08

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Lyonch trapping 08

Post by lyonch »

I feel that it is easier to remove the glands up front and extract all the essence at one time. If you remove the glands right away then you can tug and do whatever you please to skin the animal. No need to worry about pulling to hard and having the essence come out. it also takes up way less freezer space than the whole carcass. it is quick and easy and only takes a moment. I triple bag the glands and there is now smell whatsoever. I do need to wash the hides cause they are very dirty creatures and of course they smell like a skunk a little cause they are one. If i can ever figure out this video thing i would do a fair amount of it and post them.

Tbush,
i have come across some good creations that have peppermint extract in them that make them smell minty. It would be nice to know what you come up with though cause i am always open for ideas.

Fallguy,
yeah i made it myself and absolutely love it!! When i saw the pictures of you tugging on that fence post and bustin your balls to get that hide off i was glad to know that i have something that can do the pulling for me. what i like about it is i can run the crank with my left hand and the knife with my right and only have to pull to start the legs and front shoulders if it was an automatic winch i could have a beer in one hand and the knife in the other :wink: ). Other than that its simply let the winch do the work. If you need some specs on it PM me and i can give you some measurements on what it is. It telescopes and fits in the back of the truck.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

You can buy a 900lb lifting cap. one out of the sportsmans guide for $99.99 that is if you don't want to build your own.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

lyonch wrote: Fallguy,
yeah i made it myself and absolutely love it!! When i saw the pictures of you tugging on that fence post and bustin your balls to get that hide off i was glad to know that i have something that can do the pulling for me. what i like about it is i can run the crank with my left hand and the knife with my right and only have to pull to start the legs and front shoulders if it was an automatic winch i could have a beer in one hand and the knife in the other :wink: ). Other than that its simply let the winch do the work. If you need some specs on it PM me and i can give you some measurements on what it is. It telescopes and fits in the back of the truck.
Yeah give me the specs on it. I have wanted to set up a winch deal in my garage but this would be just as well being it's portable. I can't weld worth a damn but Papapete can and my dad has some employees that build him grain cleaning equipment and conveyors. This would be child's play for those guys!

How much did the whole things run you?
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Cost wise it was free for me. My dad runs a sheetmetal department and his certified welder and i undertook the project and just used scrap metal from other projects. I will take a lot of pics and post them in the photo section so that everyone can have them. If i get the time i will draw it up to scale in autocad and post it with adobe format.
Chris Lyon

lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Here is a couple from last night.

This pic shows the coon that was caught in the bucket had a sore on him and i couldn't figure out what it was. The dog and trigger of the conibear never penetrated him. It was like watery blood that came pouring out of there. He was fleshing really hard and i couldn't figure out why until i was all done i noticed a bunch of small holes in the pelt and then it dawned on me that i think he was shot with a shotgun with fine shot. The tail and back was full of scar tissue and thats why it was fleshing so hard.
Chris Lyon

Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Nice job and pictures Chris. I haven't even started yet. I'm getting the bug , but think I will wait another week or so. With the snow , I might have to concentrate on doing some calling East River. Our West river deer season starts tomorrow and with the extra traffic out there , it makes it a little harder to call the critters. Nothing more frustrating then have an animal coming to the call to suddenly turn tail and gone. You wonder what happen and when you look around you see a vehicle driving the ridge line. Usually not productive. Keep the pictures coming.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

GREAT JOB CHRIS!!!! Nice to see someone out there doing it after a full time job and using everything salvageable from the critters. Thumbs up from me man!!

Congrats on your first canine!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Thanks gentleman from all the great comments!! I have had to pull out of my areas for a little over a week because of the deer hunting season :evil: I am taking all of next week off and will be trapping with one of the local water trappers in my area. Hopefully he can show me a thing or two about that water side of things. I am just chomping at the bit to get my traps out!! I will be setting some conibears tonight in some trail sets but who knows how effective they will be unless it warms up a little.
Chris Lyon

rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

sounds fun!! I will be settin some traps this week. I am off this week from work. One week just isn't enough. :lol:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Here is a fox i caught last night in a trail set for coon. It was a complete accidental catch, but i will take it. when i stake a conibear in a trail set i just push the stake in as far as i can and let it go cause it is suppose to be dead when i get there. Well this guy wasn't dead and almost had the stake all the way out. So first thing first i jumped in the catch circle and drove that stake farther in and then took pictures. On the last pic there is a certain feature that gave the trail away as i was driving and looking for spots to set some 220's in trail sets. I know levi will pick it out.

What's the feature that the coon use?
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Anyone know how cold it has to be before Raccoon den up?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I did'nt know you could use coni-bear traps on dry land sets. ????? :shock:
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

MN LAW:

• any body-gripping or conibear-type trap with a jaw opening
greater than 7½ inches, except as a waterset*; or

• any body-gripping or conibear-type trap with a jaw opening
greater than 6½ inches in or within 3 feet of a culvert, except
when com plete ly submerged in water.

So in a nut shell no bigger than a 220 conibear on land and no bigger than 160 within 3' of a culvert.

Anything bigger than a 220 has to be completely submerged under water
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Tim, you are thinking of the new law that passed in the northern minnesota zone to prevent lynx from getting caught in bucket sets. The 220 conibear trap needs to be in set 7 inches from the opening to preven the cat from being caught in a conibear. A 220 conibear exposed in the wide open only has one rule that it needs to follow. The 220 can't be within 3 feet of a culvert unless it is completely submerged. If by chance the 220 conibear has a jaw opening greater than 7 1/2 inches then it needs to be treated like a 330 and must be completely submerged. All my 220 conibears are 7"x7" jaw opening. There are alot of people that speculate from what the hear and never look for themselves in the rules and regulations :shock:
Chris Lyon

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Oh ic.. I never messed with them on dry land, just always used foot holds traps for fox..I have some 110 but only use them for mink and rats..
Would'nt the coni bears be a little hard on the accidental dog catches, since the trap is 7"