Lyonch trapping 08

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tbush
coyotehunter

Re: Lyonch trapping 08

Post by Tbush »

Great job I love to see your pics and stories :) I see on the fox you have a bit of chain on the trap is that your normal set up :?:
a proud member of the "IF" team
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

good to see you back Terry! I thought you gave up coyote hunting for the year :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Tbush wrote:Great job I love to see your pics and stories :) I see on the fox you have a bit of chain on the trap is that your normal set up :?:
Terry, I add 2 feet of chain onto all my footholds that i use on land. Its something that i learned from a class i took this summer. The reason in doing so allows for less stake pumping and too many others to mention. All these sets i am catching fox in i am setting for coyotes! The fox that i caught before that one, that was all chewed up, was caught at that exact same trap location. There wasn't a catch circle from the first one like i hoped there would be but it produced another. For all you guys that are looking beyond the critter that is caught and trying to figure out what type of sign it is on i'll tell you. The fox was caught in an open pasture. It is set along an open area that runs between two woods. The woods are all oak trees and prickly ash. This cedar is the only lonely cedar that is along that trail. I picked that area mainly cause of the Cedar tree. It works for great eye appeal and the open space between the woods and thick prickly ash is a natural travel corridor.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

I'm still around, went to MO. for 2 weeks to help a buddy process deer we did 340 in 12 days.. anyway,Chris thanks for the info I always used 4-6 in of chian on all my fox sets as to create a nice mound that I would use year after year, and to not give them and run space to prevent pull outs and broken legs, loved to catch those badgers by the rear foot, man can they make a mountian for ya to use over and over. my best set was on a fence line set as a scent post using a rock, 7 fox in 7 nights with a fresh trap each time :D keep those pics coming and I'll try to post a pic and see if this old boy can figure it out :evil:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Tbush, jamie should have his computer at the classic and we might have to set down and go step by step for you on how to load a picture :lol: :lol: The badger was caught in a trail set leading to a corn field for coon. The reason i ran the amount of chain i did, was because i was targeting coyotes in that area cause everyone tells me how they hear them and see them all the time around there. I pulled all my traps last night and plan on starting to snare here soon if things work out. When i checked one of my traps last night where i have had a coyote working this set all year i finally got him to step on the fricken pan :D but for some fricken reason the trap never fired :evil: :evil: :evil: I was so fricken pissed off because he danced on that fricken pan like it was a musical :cry: :cry: I bet as soon as he figured out that nothing happens when he steps there, he smiled at me and cocked me off!! Later in the season on my christmas break I will reset hope he will come by and do the dance of death on the pan :D only this time it will be wack and smack :twisted:
Chris Lyon

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Great job Chris gotta love those reds certainly looks like you are putting a hurt on the coon population
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

After i stretched the otter he measured 42 inches from the tip of the nose on the board to the base of tail. Since this is my first otter ever, is this something that would be worth tanning and keeping as a respectable speciman for the species or would you sell him? Just curious what your thoughts are. I will be selling my furs before the thompson tourney and will take some picks of the season totals :D
Chris Lyon

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

It really just matters on if the trophy is in the fact that it is your first or the specimen itself. I have no idea if 42 inches is a good otter but you only catch your first one once.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

I'd tan it, hang it 8) on the wall and have it forever
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Lyonch, when you set a dirt-hole set or really any foot hold set for coons, do you use an earth anchor, rebar or wooden stake? I'm guessing you use earth anchors when targeting fox?
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

rebar
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

like levi mentioned i use rebar. Now that i am starting set traps in the sam place year after year, i plan on using some earth anchors and calling it good to lighten the load for me.
Chris Lyon

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Any sense in double staking for coons doing a 1-2 day check? I've heard that wooden stakes hold coons alot better in moist/muddy soil, just wondering other's thoughts on the subject.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

It all depends on soil conditions on what to use for a stake. I use a 24" piece of 5/8" rebar as a stake on land. The main reason is that i am setting for coyotes/fox and not coon. When i head to the water, i use a 18" piece of 5/8" rebar for river bottom. The more sandy and loose the soil, the longer and bigger and double staking becomes more relevant. I would start moving to earth anchors for the ability to run light. Look into the pogo line of earth anchors. they are something that you could custom make yourself and just get the driver :wink:
Chris Lyon

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

I'll definitely look into making a pogo type anchor, and it wouldn't even be that hard to make the driver, just need a hacksaw or cutting-wheel. I've found a way to get just about as much rebar as I want, just gotta ask :) 8) I got enough the other day for 15 stakes, just need some washers and nuts to weld on top.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19