Maybe this happened to my fox??

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Maybe this happened to my fox??

Post by Coyotehunter »

I got a few weasels when I was living in Laporte. Even had one in the house. got in through the dryer vent. scared the hell out of my wife. she opend the dryer door and there was a weasel staring at her. she screamed and ran up stairs to call me at work leetting me know that there was a wild animal in our house. I came home and found him asleep on the floor in a pile of blankets. I picked him up by the scruff of his kneck and he went nuts. Just screaming bloody murder.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Eagles are terrible on fox in traps and real bad on dead coyotes in snares

I'm a little surprised the fox that wasn't in the trap didn't finish the deed. With the obvious upperhand and the dominance issues with the wild kingdom you would think that he would eliminate the competition.

Very good footage about fox interactions
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
wyojrt
coyotehunter

Post by wyojrt »

Daryl wrote:I don't think he would play anymore. I have come to learn he hates fox. Not sure if it is there nature but man he comes unglued at the sight of one. Dead or alive doesn't seem to matter he wants to shred them. I had brought home a dead one and the hair stood up from ears down to his tail and man was pi$$ed. I had him out with me earlier this fall and a fox come in and he took off and tore that fox a new a$$ i finally had to use his shock collar because he wouldn't stop. That fox was easy to shoot because he wasn't running away very fast. Now coyotes don't get the same response. He's not sure about them and well they think he is food but he does'nt come unglued like on a fox. Maybe wyojrt can shed some light on this but must just be there breed. :?
Sounds to me like your jrt has some pretty awesome hunt drive....and he is doing what he was bred for and what instinct tells him. You say you took him out earlier this fall with you....was he on or off lead? If you're running him off lead, you and I should really get together for a day in the field...you don't have to bring him, we can use my dogs. My stud has killed fox in the ground and brought others out so damaged that they needed to be dispatched regardless of the reason for the hunt. I took two daughters of his to MO for some hunting....upon seeing their first coon and possum ever, they had a mouthful. It's instinct and I'm not real sure the shock collar is going to break it. However....he may introduce you to a completely different way of getting fox!

Seriously, if you're interested, you're welcome to join me for a day in the field. It's so cold here now that I'm sure the ground is pretty well frozen....so I won't be out hunting anymore this year alone. If I'm not sure I can dig my dog out, I just don't go. If I've got help to dig, that's different. There's nothing like hearing your dog bay in the ground for the first time and know that there's really no training involved in that....
It's all about the huntin'
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I have never put him on a lead just used his shock collar that once. He does really good but I didn't want him to run off chasing a critter for miles :( . He really doesn't seem to mind coyotes either dead or alive but I found out Fox are a whole different story. Is it just his breed that makes him hate them so bad or is it that there similar in size. I don't know just curious. I didn't want to shock him but they were really getting after it and i didn't want him all tore up. It would be neat to see them in action digging thats for sure. Only time mine digs is when he is trying to get out of his kennel :D He just turned a year old in Oct and weather he become a good hunting dog or not he's still my buddy. Most people are annoyed by his energy but he grows on ya.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
wyojrt
coyotehunter

Post by wyojrt »

I think there is something in the smell of coyotes or something that most terriers don't seem to want anything to do with them. JRT's were originally bred by the Parson to hunt fox...something he was passionate about.....so I'm not sure what it might be in their brains that would trigger them to the fox and not coyote. I'm serious about the offer to go digging....I work rotating days off, so weekends aren't always an option, but.....

Here is a shot of my 3 year old bitch on her first possum....this was the first time she'd been dug to....

Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Thats awesome :lol:
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

:lol:

nice pics
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

pound for pound they'er :twisted: :lol:
a proud member of the "IF" team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Get em buddy :lol:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I'm telling ya i need to get one of those things
wyojrt
coyotehunter

Post by wyojrt »

Prairie Ghost wrote:I'm telling ya i need to get one of those things
Anytime you'd like to take a little road trip, we'll go out and you can see some first-hand action (provided the quarry cooperates!). I don't have many litters, but I always love to have a pup go to somebody that would be willing to take it out and hunt it. There's just really no way to describe what it's like when there's a dog in the ground and on something....you just have to see it for yourself.

MTA: The weather here has gotten to where it should be pretty good chances of finding some fox in the ground....probably any time from now through the end of February. I do hunt during "baby" season on my main permission as they run sheep and have had numerous lambs killed by fox, so they want them gone......It's not rocket science and most of my settes are drive-ups, so we don't have to haul much gear around. I'm very dead serious.....if you'd like to go out, the invite is there.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I'll have to see if we can make that happen i would like to see them at work!
wyojrt
coyotehunter

Post by wyojrt »

Prairie Ghost wrote:I'll have to see if we can make that happen i would like to see them at work!
Just let me know....I work shiftwork with rotating days off, so I'm not always off weekends....I've got some in January, though....