Badger Bait

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

wyojrt
coyotehunter

Badger Bait

Post by wyojrt »

My main fox permission has gotten a couple of badger move in on them this fall. They are tearing up the hay field and the landowner has given me the ok to trap them. Trouble is, I've never trapped anything other than feral cats. I've got a big live trap that's for badger and other large critters....what would be the best thing to bait it with?
It's all about the huntin'
rhino
coyotehunter

Re: Badger Bait

Post by rhino »

I know a guy that was using live traps to catch coons at his farm this last summer. He figured he had badger in one of them and tore it up pretty good. I have never trapped badgers but I would probably not use a live trap.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

they will eat about in meat they can find. If they find a dead deer they have not problem eating it. I have never lived trap one. I catch them allthe time in my coyote sets. I would think any cmmercial coyote bait and some rotted down meet in the back of the cage should work. I have never done it though, good luck.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I dont think i would ever use a live cage to hold a badger unless it is modified and heavier than the standard!!! If you ever skin one and see what they look like without that fur you will fully understand why they can dig and deystroy like they do.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
wyojrt
coyotehunter

Post by wyojrt »

Well, this trap is one that was advertised for badger....so I don't know. It is more heavy duty than many of the live traps I've seen. I've actually had it just sitting around for a few years. I think I'll give it a try and if I get a badger in that tears it up, oh well...such is life. It's not like I'm using it now anyway....we'll see how it goes...
wyojrt
coyotehunter

Post by wyojrt »

The trap I've got seems to be a heavy type of material than this one looks to be...

http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page747.html
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Your livetrap will be fine, we use them all the time in cemetaries when there diggin up old uncle charlie. Throw a rabbit in and place the trap around fresh diggings you get him sooner or later. Look for a hole the are using with the trenches spidering out from the hole itself. there are lots of badger holes but few with badgers in them.
Randy Roede
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

why do badgers dig so many holes?? are they looking for food or just being jack asses?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I know in my area in central minnesota the badgers dig after the pocket gophers as a food source. They can dig probably 10 times faster minimum than a pocket gopher so they dig like hell to get the gopher and then its dinner time. I have yet to see a badger in one of its holes, but have seen them in prairie dog towns in the hole from a prairie dog. I Think the digging is strictly done as a means to get food. I just wanna know how in the heck do they get food in the winter time???? Good luck digging in forzen ground :wink:
Chris Lyon

Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

They do dig for food yes. I did some research on them for a paper one time and they not only dig for gophers but worms and ant larva as well. Oh and as for digging frozen ground thats not a problem since they have also been know to be able to dig through some forms of concrete. There strength is second to none. Have you ever seen a hole on a gravel road in the hard packed wheel track. Next time you do take a shovel and try to dig beside it. Good Luck :wink: Oh and as for the hole they live in it is called a sett. There young are called cubs and there setts have seperate areas for the young kinda like a nursery. They also have a area used for the bathroom and the living area is normally lined with straw or grass of some sort. Very neat critters.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

LOL

Good infor Daryl! You know too much about badgers that for sure!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Not sure if thats a good thing :oops:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Daryl does the badger have a scent gland around the head that smells kind of like a musk/skunk smell??? Im just curious cause the last one i skun really had a distinct odor to it.
Chris Lyon

Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Lyonch the badger is a mustelid, they do have scent glands similar to those of a skunk, but they do not throw scent. I am not sure of the location of the gland.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

All badgers are good for is ruining a perfectly good coyote set and plugging the set for when the coyotes comes by i'm so sick of catching those little bastards i could puke!! :evil: they are a fairly neat critter however
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!