Transient coyotes

coyote studies

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Transient coyotes

Post by Tim Anderson »

Question:: Well Transient coyotes hang together with other Transient coyotes???
Will they hang together in a group that consists of more than 5 coyotes???
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Transient coyotes

Post by Dcoy »

Hi Tim.I guess from the studies I've read it seems 'transient'meant loners only although that status often changes if they are accepted into a pack,acquire a mate etc.Not sure though.
Here's a little piece that sort of discusses it.
http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/veca ... berg4.html

The other day I read some studies that discussed the different types of habitats more likely used by transients.Most often it was heavier cover,ie,CRP vs pasture for packs in the same general area.I suppose thats likely a security thing in part since the 'transient'doesn't have the benefit of the eyes/ears/noses of a pack.One thing seemed certain from what I've read,their survival chances/percentages are much less than mated pairs or packs.
Good hunting.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

If there was more than one animal traveling together in my mind they wouldn't be "transients" any longer. With the strength of numbers or at least a pair they are going to set up shop and call somewhere home.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Thats what i was thinking also...

Here is the story i got from a friend on a Chat-line the other nite...
It appears they have a group of coyote in a area that we will just call point "A" and another group of coyotes about 5-6 miles down the road at point "B" ...
In between these two groups is another group of coyotes that consists of 8 or more.. I'm not sure on there way of thinking or what would give them any indication but they say or think this group of coyotes in the middle are out cast coyotes or transient coyotes that formed a group, but are still labeling them as Transient coyotes... From my understanding they are haveing difficulties calling in these coyotes compared to the other groups and they are more on the timid side...But yet they are seen running around dureing all times of the day..

Like was said they may have been Transients at one time but now belong to a group of there own...
Some study mentioned that Transient coyotes won't howl back at nite when you try to locate them by howling, Is this true ? And if so this maybe one of the reason for there way of thinking..
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I believe "transient" coyotes howl less just for that fact that they don't want to be detected by the "resident" coyotes however during breeding season they are looking for a mate and should howl more readily. When you travel through Harlem you keep the windows up and don't look at anyone kind of mentality
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I believe "transient" coyotes howl less just for that fact that they don't want to be detected by the "resident" coyotes however during breeding season they are looking for a mate and should howl more readily. When you travel through Harlem you keep the windows up and don't look at anyone kind of mentality
Thats what i've been told by others and also agree with.. Thanks for the input....
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have not seen any studies show that coyotes from multiple family groups will group up. 8?? I would think that is a family group in itself that they are seeing. Transient means that a coyote is traveling through another coyotes territory. Coyotes that howl are typically territorial breeding pairs. Lots of studies talk about the why and whens of dominant and submissive coyotes howling. Lehnar, Mitchell....
Coyotes Forever