Coyote pups

coyote studies

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Coyote pups

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:I just do not see much of it in my country but I think on our sheep we typically have low densities and a younger group of coyote in general.
Do you know why that is?? or any theories?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Heavier controlled area than most places will usually produce lower densities (hopefully) and a younger age class due to the fill in of younger dispersing coyotes after removal or the offending animals as a rule of thumb. Older coyotes can fill in the gap but the norm is younger coyotes waiting in line or looking for a home for the first time.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

It is the belief of some that you kill the adults off of weened pups and there barking gets heard by other adults who will adopt them and raise them. That is a main reason that you need to find those pups if they are past the that stage to lessen your work load later on.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

LeviM wrote:
Coyotehunter wrote:I just do not see much of it in my country but I think on our sheep we typically have low densities and a younger group of coyote in general.
Do you know why that is?? or any theories?

we kill everything..............year round..............;) Some get through the gauntlet but on sheep everyone is after them. If there is a track in the snow they expect you to get after it. Lord help you if someone actually sees a coyote. I have gotten pix texted to me on christmas day of tracks.
Coyotes Forever
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Whats also interesting is the phenomena of "spontaneous lactation".

We saw it quite a bit in our ranch fox herd over the years. On some non-pregnant, never whelped bitches, when exposed to and stimulated by un-weaned pups they would start lactating and nursing.

In fact, we had a black lab bitch that we used for years as a surrogate mother. She was never bred, yet every time you'd put pups on her she would lactate and nurse. Even after being spayed.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

BBJ- it is a headache to say the least with coyotes. Get a pair killed and have a dry bitch start taking care of the pups. :evil: :evil:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

I can imagine how that could get annoying for someone in your line of work.