Coyote pups

coyote studies

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Coyote pups

Post by Tim Anderson »

Where can i find some studies or documentation on a female coyote shareing its den with another parent coyote or a coyote raiseing two litters??? Ect.....
Tbush
coyotehunter

Re: Coyote pups

Post by Tbush »

WHY???
a proud member of the "IF" team
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

For reading..LOL
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

It has certainly been documented i have been involved with at least one "double den" i will have to look into my library to see if i have any of the studies that looked at it.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Thanks Prairie Ghost.. I have found a few studies on where members of a group will help with the raiseing of pups or even two females shareing a den but nothing on a coyote raiseing another coyotes litter.
If both parents are say killed will another member of a pack jump in and take over careing for the pups.. Thanks..Tim A..

I've been told most of what has been said is possable but can't find any studies on it..
Also do any of the state or fed. agency's keep data on how many coyotes have been taken from a denning site or close to???
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I know i have read a study that showed a yearling "babysitter" start to lactate after the breeding female was killed but i don't remember the study.

Pups left at the den after the breeding pair is killed will get another "caretaker" if they can get to the mouth of the hole to let everyone know. I will do some looking i know that there has been documentation of another pair of coyotes dropping off scraps at the den of another pair that was removed but i will have to do some searching i don't remember which one it was.

I have certainly seen where the pups where getting taken care of when i removed the pair and couldn't locate the den.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Real intresting stuff!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

A few years back at the CLASSIC the speaker talked about some of this stuff?? maybe his info is on paper? coyotehunter might have it? It was one of the best and informative seminars I've been to :D :D
a proud member of the "IF" team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Steve Allen talked about some studies where he transplanted pups to different dens if i remember right to see how they reacted. If i remember right his studies showed that they took them in just like one of the family. You should be able to look up Steve Allen ND Furbearer Biologist or contact the state of ND and get some of his studies. He also did a lot of territories with fox and coyote and how much they overlapped the guy is a wealth of knowledge.
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

I take it this is related to a post on PM!!! TA
Randy Roede
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Why Yes... Does it matter??? :mrgreen:

Just passing time Randy till the ground dries out.....
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Interesting discussion guys! Keep the info flowing :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I've spoken to Steve Allen several times and read several of his papers, and all of them are very good. He is definitely a wealth of knowledge. Back in the day he was doing more research and find out a lot of things on a critter that most people didn't care about, he's done a lot for the coyote. He's done more for the coyote than anyone else after him at the ND game and fish department, he actually wanted to learn and figure the critter out.

I've seen several double dens over the years. It is funny how common it actually happens, I don't know why. I've seen two different distinct age classes at a den so I'm sure there has to be orphans that are taken in. I've cut open females to find out that there were no placental scars, with a litter of pups, to leave and come back in the morning and take 2 adults off a site. Babysitters do exist and will take over if the parents are taken. They are a crazy little creature and all about evolving and succeeding.

definitely a good discussion guys.
xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I found a few things written by Steve Allen from coyotes to foxes.. Lot of good info and reading...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I just do not see much of it in my country but I think on our sheep we typically have low densities and a younger group of coyote in general.
Coyotes Forever