Coyote Depredation Management

coyote studies

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Coyote Depredation Management

Post by Coyotehunter »

This paper examines the severity of livestock depredation by coyotes (Canis latrans),
reviews evidence implicating breeding (or ?alpha?) coyotes in the majority of incidents,
evaluates currently used depredation control techniques, and suggests directions
for future research. Nonlethal control ranges from varied animal husbandry
practices to coyote behavioral modification or sterilization. These methods show significant
promise but have not been proven effective in controlled experiments.
Therefore, many livestock producers rely on lethal control, and most employ nonselective
strategies aimed at local population reduction. Sometimes this approach is
effective; other times it is not. This strategy can fail because the alpha coyotes, most
likely to kill livestock, are the most resistant to nonselective removal techniques. An
alternative is selective lethal control. Livestock Protection Collars (LPCs) and coyote
calling are the primary selective lethal approaches. However, LPCs do not have support
from the general public due to the toxicant used, and the factors affecting the
selectivity of coyote calling have not been studied. The greatest impediments to effective
coyote depredation management currently are a scarcity of selective control
methods, our lack of understanding of the details of coyote behavioral ecology relative
to livestock depredation and wild prey abundance, the absence of solid research
examining the effectiveness of different control techniques in a variety of habitats and
at multiple predation intensities, and the dearth of rigorous controlled experiments
analyzing the operational efficacy of selective removal versus population reduction.

http://www.coyotehunter.net/upload/Mitc ... dation.pdf
jcb1911

Post by jcb1911 »

I manage both livestock and wildlife ranches all over the state of Texas, and have conducted and been apart of several studies on livestock depredation and predator ecology. It is true that alpha pairs account for a substantial percentage of livestock losses as an average over the entire state. But, when you look at specific areas this is not always the case. The Texas panhandle for example is known for it's expansive cattle operations, in these areas nomads and and organized family groups consisting of 4-8 members make up the majority of the problem. In the western part of the state the primary livestock are sheep and goats, in these areas depredation can generally be narrowed down to just a few problem animals (Alpha pairs, cripples, juveniles, and animals past thier prime). I believe that in order to have a productive management system, you can't look at one thing and not the other. In areas that I manage we institue year around selective management supplemented by agressive population management at key times of the year (ie. calving and fawn season). Another thing that I believe is overlooked is the fact that results don't happen ove night, and once you start a predator management program you can't stop. If you do within a years time your problem will be worse than ever. keep in mind this what I have seen in Texas you boys up there in the north pole have a different set of dogs and habitat than we do, not to mention the fact you guys have real winters. That being said, what works here probably won't work there.
Jesse Barnett
Haydel's Game Calls Pro Staff
BoarHoggLight Pro Staff
Calling Coyotes is not a hobby it's an Obsession!!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Great post!! Thanks for the info
Coyotes Forever