Saw Something Wierd Today

coyote studies

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

EO caller

Saw Something Wierd Today

Post by EO caller »

I saw a coyote pup today standing at the base of the hole. He didn't know I was their. I watched him for about five minutes then down he went. I dont go den hunting, I've never gassed one or dug one out and killed the pups. I was born a fur trappers son and thats just a taboo thing for me to do. Unless its a problem involving livestock ofcourse. But still its something I've never had to do and with the prices on the rise I ain't starting now. Anyway after the little turd went in the hole i couldn't stand it I had to walk down and investigate. When I got their his head was still stuck outside the hole and he saw me and vanished. I walked about five feet from the hole and found the head of a pup the same age and size as the one I had just seen. All their was , was a head with most of the hair gone except for the hair on and around the nose and a part of a spine. Looked like it had been dead maybe a day. Didn't find any bones or hair or anything. It had definetly been eaten by something. Never saw a adult coyote. OK ADC guys whats the deal. Hawk or eagle kill? Another male cleaning house? :?: :?: :?: :?:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Saw Something Wierd Today

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I have only seen den pups around a hole once and they had drown in a flash flood. I wouldn't say eagle he would have taken it to a different spot to eat most likely. If i had to take a guess without seeing it i would say it was the other pups.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Dad found another dead pup about 200 yards from the hole yesterday. It was eaten up also. nobody has been up their since the last time I was there wich was a few weeks ago. Kinda strange. Must be a old dominator killing them and other stuff is eating them. Can't tell wether they are male pups or female. There is shitloads of prey availiable. Were overrun with rabbits, mice and rats right now so I doubt its a hunger deal.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I'm sorry i meant to say DEAD pups instead of "den" pups......................never can tell
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

i would say the other pups without seeing more info myself
Coyotes Forever
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

EO it may be a litter of sick pups, distemper, parvo, the timing of the first pup being found dead is about right for parvo etc. to kill them.

Pups will eat whatever around a den, i've seen them snacking on mom and dad after they have been killed.

You never know thou?
Randy Roede
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Could be Randy. Never thought of that. Hope its not the case. Their is two litters of pups running around here close. They have been running through and shitting in our yards and raising hell with the dogs at night. My old man is not tickled but hes leaving them alone till fur season is upon us :D