High C

coyote studies

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: High C

Post by lyonch »

Daryl wrote:
lyonch wrote:When a coyote false charges i thought that they do that not to only test the speed of there prey, but when the prey gets use to that false chase, he will not run and just expect the coyote to stop. Until one day the coyote doesn't stop and "the chase is on".

If this is true Lyonch the game of false chase to get the prey use to it. In a group of deer lets say how does the coyote pick the same animal time after time for it to get use to the false chase and expect the coyote to stop. Just wondering because you say
he will not run and just expect the coyote to stop. Until one day the coyote doesn't stop and "the chase is on".
Just a question!
I dont think that they single one specificaly out. I think that this is something that a coyote does perdiodically to test its limit with that herd in general. If most coyotes do this often then it will be something that the deer/herd will in my opinion just get use to it. I dont ever forsee a coyote taking down an adult deer unless the opportunity if too good to pass up. This is strictly opinions and thoughts. I tried to look at it kind of like cattle. When i lived on the farm i would walk up to the fence and lunge at them periodically for my own retarded entertainment. Eventually they just got use to it and never moved. Before you know i couls run almost right up to them before they decided OH SHIT. Its just a thought that i came up with.

Jaybic,
Thanks for all the insight. It seems so simple that if thats all a guy needs to do is hit the high C note and here comes the coyote! I think that Major was too straight forward when he made it sound like if every time you do this; this happens. In my opinion i think the high c might be a part to the puzzle; but the first lesson i learned in hunting coyotes is "Excpect the Unexpected!!!" If i would have heard this from some joe blow off of the street i would have just let it go in one ear and out the other but when someone who has more coyotes under his belt than most people combined together on the site i kind of listen and take note! I like the opinions that everyone is throwing out here :D and it is deffinitely making me think!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

You been studying magic and power leveling to Lyonch :lol:
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

:lol:

I wouldn't doubt it
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Well I'm sure not a musician and don't have a clue what 'C'sounds like but this sure is intriguing stuff.Got me thinking about what makes my dogs howl.That led me to recall my boyhood days when the air raid siren would sound at noon and six pm daily.Every dog in town would howl-every time.Try as you might to stop it,and my gramma did,the dog would howl.
Then I started thinking about smaller sirens being used by hounders and others to locate yotes and then last nite I ran into this quote in the Alcorn book:

"Something in the pitch and wail of sirens sets off the coyotes howling threshold,and they have to respond."

Very interesting stuff.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Must be a demand for massive 'high C',even ads about old air raid sirens are spendy.
Probably Levi and Chris bidding these up trying to corner the market. :lol:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... 0324941969
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

LOL

You got that right Dcoy :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Here's a little more fuel on the ' high C 'fire.Its from J Frank Dobies book 'The Voice
Of The Coyote'.This quote comes from page 19.

"For 5 years Ross Graves,trapper at Fort Davis,Texas,had a pet coyote named Ike.Ross Graves loves to play the fiddle.Many a night,alone in camp,he would play it while Ike howled.' High C on the fiddle would really make Ike cut loose.Low notes did not seem to appeal to him.' "

Good hunting-and high C ing! :D
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

And everyone thought i was chasing the dragon when i wrote that :lol: :lol: :lol: Hell i even thought i read it wrong when i read it the first time :oops:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Dcoy i have read the book a few times Great Read!!

I have also read some other stuff on the playing different notes with muscial instruments but havne't been able to have anything difinitive on if it just makes there ears hurt or if that is the right not in Coyote language?

None the less great subject to think about.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Mountainman
coyotehunter

Post by Mountainman »

I have the CD "Talking to Coyotes With the Song Dog". Both high C and C Sharp are mentioned. I took my call and had my wife play both C's on the keyboard. I fell short most of the time, and only hit c-sharp once. Really had to huff and puff to get to high-c. If anyone has a piano or keyboard handy, it is found two octaves higher than middle c. Somewhere around where opera singers start breaking glasses. Also hard on the ears.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Speaking of really High Cs:

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

Maybe I'll try using my phone next year. :roll:
Rich Cronk
coyotehunter

Post by Rich Cronk »

Major Boddicker used to send out a pamphlet with his calls. In one of those pamphlets he did make the statement that once a coyote howls, it can not howl again for several minutes. I know that he was wrong about that, because I have seen and heard coyotes howl several times in a row. Male coyotes don't always howl at a lower pitch than females either. I can't be of much help in regard to the high C note thing though. :)
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Hey Rich nice to see you posting i still have one of your "Taylor specials" and use it from time to time.
Rich Cronk
coyotehunter

Post by Rich Cronk »

Prairie Ghost,
I'm glad that you like that call. Cal Taylor loves em, and he thinks that I am nuts for using a big ole cow or buffalo horn type of howler. :D Me, I like a howler that is so loud that coyotes in the next zip code can hear it.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I like a pretty loud howler myself. Are you still kicking out quite a few calls?