Glendive Montana Coyote Hunt

You can post your events and tournaments here or send the info to us and we will post it for you.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Glendive Montana Coyote Hunt

Post by lyonch »

Thanks for the update thumpper23!! Great job for sticking to your game plan and trying to compete by calling 8)
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

thumpper23 wrote:well the rules state fair chase but the use of sleds were used by probably 75% of the teams, no DQ to whoever used sleds either. Some actually bragged about running them over. I own 2 sleds and they stayed on the trailer at home. I for one will have no part of the hunt next year. Pretty sad when ya gotta cheat using sleds to kill a mangy coyote and win a couple bucks. 24 hours 2 teams pulled in 17 dogs each. I busted my a## fighting the deep snow staying within the rules and never stood a chance so why should I put myself through the same thing again.
Amen!!!! There are better tournaments out there for callers! Like the coyote classic!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

Ya there were a lot of people that used snowmobiles which ruined it for a lot of people but I know my team didnt and we came back in and turned in 3 coyotes and felt pretty good about it. We had a blast doing it and thats the way it should be. Even though the legs were charlie horsein up real bad for 2 days afterwards from walking in that stinkin deep snow.
The best thing about the hunt though was the chance at some nice door prizes. Which I didnt win any of them either. :lol:
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

the only plus side you guys have, you were able to call some very beautiful country, with a ton of coyotes!!! I am jealous of all of you that get to do it on a daily basis!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Critrgtr
coyotehunter

Post by Critrgtr »

LeviM wrote:the only plus side you guys have, you were able to call some very beautiful country, with a ton of coyotes!!! I am jealous of all of you that get to do it on a daily basis!
Well I have Wed. and Thursdays off if your ever in the area. Your more then welcome to come down and teach me a thing or two.
Even though they did have snowmobilers during the hunt I can honestly say that I did have a great time hunting with two of my best friends that day so that was a plus side to. :D
I am trying to talk to the people in charge of the hunt and see if next year they can ban snowmobiles, or at least put them in there own class. Have them pay more to enter and they only win what share of the pot they put into it.
thumpper23
coyotehunter

Post by thumpper23 »

I submitted a letter to the editor in regards to the hunt. Probably gonna ruffle some feathers but oh-well. I stated the fair chase rules and that the fish wildlife & parks that it is unlawfull to chase wild animals in Montana. That I was not going to be a part of the hunt next year as well. Pretty sad when you can brag about running over a coyote with a sled. I take pride in my calling abilities, takes more of a person to do that. Enough about that.

Open invitation to who-ever wants to come over and do some calling. I have exclusive access to over 30 sections of prime land which has an abundance of coyote's and a few bobcats. Saturday morning one set produced 5 coyotes. We won't talk about how many were lucky to get away. :oops:
Tango
coyotehunter

Post by Tango »

way to go thumpper23, how will they ever know that people are displeased with the way things are handled if it is never mentioned to them. Good job in relaying your opinion. to be honest with you i would have done the same thing, & most likely along with the majority of the people on this site i would think. CONGRATS ON DOING WHAT WAS RIGHT.
right where God wants me
thumpper23
coyotehunter

Post by thumpper23 »

Tango wrote:way to go thumpper23, how will they ever know that people are displeased with the way things are handled if it is never mentioned to them. Good job in relaying your opinion. to be honest with you i would have done the same thing, & most likely along with the majority of the people on this site i would think. CONGRATS ON DOING WHAT WAS RIGHT.
Thank you Tango and everyone else here who agree's.. Probably gonna catch some flack but I don't care. Its just like a job, take pride in what you do.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I dont want to burst your bubble, but running coyotes with snowmobiles in montana is LEGAL!! I do not like it one bit at all, but it is legal. Thats why i stay away from all montana hunts unless i know exactly what the rules are. If coyotehunter.net ever put on a tournament in montana i would be there in a hear beat :D Great job on doing what you feel is right though 8)
Chris Lyon

thumpper23
coyotehunter

Post by thumpper23 »

Technically speaking it is legal but the Fish WIld Life & Parks told me it is illegal to pursue ANY wild animal in the state of Montana with a snowmobile, The state has the coyote listed as both a fur-bearer and a predator. They are kinda messed up in how they have them classified. Either way if you are going to chase and kill them do it the day before or the day after the hunt not the day of the hunt. Be a sportsman for at least one day. Below is the letter I sent to the local paper.

FAIR CHASE RULE
In regards to the Coyote hunt that was held here in Glendive this past weekend I thought I should shed some light on the subject regarding one of the rules stated on the sign-up sheet. Numerous snowmobiles were used in the hunt which is against everything the Fair Chase rule is all about and according to the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks it is "unlawful to chase, harass, herd, or rally wild animals" while snowmobiling.
Montana Code Annotated 2009 "23-2-633. Other unlawful operation. A person while operating a snowmobile may not:
(1) use the snowmobile for the purpose of driving, rallying, or harassing game animals, game birds, or fur-bearing animals of the state or livestock, including ostriches, rheas, and emus. An owner of livestock is not prohibited from managing or driving the owner's livestock by the use of snowmobiles and may direct other persons to manage or drive the owner's livestock by use of snowmobiles. The department of fish, wildlife, and parks, including its duly authorized employees, is not prohibited from managing or driving game animals, game birds, or fur-bearing animals by the use of snowmobiles."
Don't get me wrong I am no environmentalist I enjoy hunting as much as the next person but rules and laws are put into place to protect both the hunter and the hunted. The Fair Chase Rule was put into place so everyone including the animal involved has an equal chance at being successful.
I just hope that next years Coyote Hunt becomes a Coyote Calling Contest instead of who's got the fastest snowmobile or the most airplanes. I for one will not be part of or sponsor such an event that allows rules to be bent or broken just to satisfy somebody's pocket book.
FAIR CHASE
As defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsman like, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American
animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.
Fundamental to all hunting is the concept of conservation of natural resources. Hunting
in today's world involves the regulated harvest of individual animals in a manner that
conserves, protects, and perpetuates the hunted population. The hunter engages in a
one-to-one relationship with the quarry and his or her hunting should be guided by a
hierarchy of ethics related to hunting, which includes the following tenets:
1. Obey all applicable laws and regulations.
2. Respect the customs of the locale where the hunting occurs.
3. Exercise a personal code of behavior that reflects favorably on your abilities and sensibilities as a hunter.
4. Attain and maintain the skills necessary to make the kill as certain and quick as possible.
5. Behave in a way that will bring no dishonor to either the hunter, the hunted, or the environment.
6. Recognize that these tenets are intended to enhance the hunter's experience of the relationship between predator and prey, which is one of the most fundamental relationships of humans and their environment.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Wow thats alittle confusing :?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Just a simple rule change of "NO SNOWMOBLES".... and stand behind it!!
a proud member of the "IF" team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Thumper23 that is a an awesome spin you did on the chasing coyotes with a snowmobile!! I never heard anyone take that avenue or stand when it comes to "Fair Chase". I like what you did and do not care for the chasing a coyote with a snowmobile as much as the next guy. It is confusing when you can argue this whole thing in a couple different directions :? Great work on the letter :D
Chris Lyon

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Great letter. need more guys like you.
Coyotes Forever
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

good job :)
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."