Thompson Presdator Round-up 2007

You can post your events and tournaments here or send the info to us and we will post it for you.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Your Not going to make it brad??
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Good luck to everyone that will be there, Introduce yourselves to me before or after the tournament. Looking foward to meet some of you guys!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Good luck guys and dont be afraid to shake a hand or two and get some useful knowledge from some of the long time veterans :D SEE YOU THERE BRIGHT AND EARLY :shock:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Well let me be the first to say thanks to Jamie for traveling all the way to Thompson to host a tournament. I am really disapointed that only 6 teams signed up :shock: I was really hoping more coyote hunters would of showed up. The hunting was good we called in 7 coyotes before noon, and then the wind came up and we had a real hard time getting them to respond to calls.

Jamie your a class act, thanks for sharring some of your stories I wish I had a some more time to pick your brain alittle. Good luck trapping and calling coyotes seems you know what your doing. Thanks again Jamie, I will have to BS with you some more at the classic! :D

Oh by the way next you better give Randy 15 seconds to shoot a coyote, Not 10!!! :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Results man results what were the numbers??? Did you guys shoot all 7 you called in and how did you place Levi?? Can't leave a guy hangin :?
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Jamie thanks for all the great stories and amazing hospitality at the tournament. The chilli was great and the stories and info was even better. The way your son Randy was throwing those darts it looks like he is going to be a professional dart thrower instead of a hardcore coyote hunter like dad :wink: Well not to leave you guys hanging any longer this is how levi's and my day went. We left the check in at 6:00 am hading to the area we wanted to hunt. 10 miles out of town and there was the first coyote seent that day heading into a corn field. we make it to our area and on the way saw more deer than i can count waiting to be smashed by levis truck :shock: First stand resulted in no coyotes (great location though) second stand first series of rabbit squeals and there i spotted a young female about 180 yards away along a fence line. Levi hit the call again and here she came wide open. Before she could make it in here come a big male in front of her. He stopped at 60 yards in front of me and i was committed to the shotgun already and he knew something wasn't right so i gave him a faceful of dead coyote. I watched the fur fly and him do about 6 summersaults and then run off. levi shot at him with the rifle and just missed. Whent looking for him and couldn't find him. Then it was stand number three and nothing. stand four i looked to my left there was one bedded right after we sat down about 300-350 yards away. we tried all the calls we could think of and it wouldn't respond so finally it got up to leave and we both took a shot and missed. At this time im really getting :evil: for missing. then stand five and six nothing. Stand seven we were set up along a tree line with corn on one side and a small revine on the other with crp grass with a cross wind. We got seven minutes into the stand and 50 yards to my left a small coyote sticks its head out of the corn and of course this is the only stand we left our shotguns in the truck. and so i put the cross hairs on the edge of her neck where it meet the body and finally there was coyote number one :D . Then the rest of the stands were nothing but driving from stand to stand we spotted one along the edge of a corn field and the second we saw him he saw us and poof he was gone. The seventh coyote we bumped walking into a stand location. This was all before 12:00 then the rest of the day was so darn windy that we decided to check in an hour early and play some strategy with our only dog. We waited at check to find out only 6 teams made it and that was sad to see. I really thought that the tournament would have had a better turn out. We weighed the female and she weighed 22lbs biger than what it thought with a nice pelt coming in on her. We were swapping stories with jamie when the next team came in with only seeing one coyote and the other 2 teams that showed up at check in didn't even see any. so when 7:00 check in time came jamie told us we got 1st 2nd and 3rd with also big dog and little dog. Yeah it was great to win but it didn't even feel like a win to me. we should have been schooled because we didn't capitalize on our opportunities. Thats how the tournament went for us. Thanks again jamie for all the stories and info that you shared with us and wish you had more than two coyotes in the back of your truck when you whent home. Oh and sorry about the big A$$ hole i blew in that coyotes kneck. Thanks for all those who participated and attempted to give them pesky critters a run for there money.

Here is a picture of our champs, (back to back if I remember right) I would also like to thank Pure Predator for donating the calls. You two will have to let us all know how they work out for you. They are a great looking call and have loud clear sound to them.

Jamie
Chris Lyon

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Congratulations guys and looks like you had some fun.

Sorry Jamie we couldn't make it.

Papapete and I were on our annual family pheasant hunting trip and it was hard to pass up the best rooster population that area has seen in 30 years. We got lots of limits. And we managed to do a few coyote stands and I broke in my new rifle. :lol:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Hey guys thanks for coming out. I got home at 6:30 am this morning, drove all night. The wife is in bed and Dakota is watching cartoons. I will give her a couple of hours of sleep then it is off to check some equipment. Randy and I did not enter the tournament, not sure how a 10 year old would enjoy a full day of tournament hunting with dad. We did make 1 stand at about 9:30 at a spot that 5 years ago (when I last called it) had some coyotes. About 25 minutes into it Randy tapped me on the shoulder and said "Hey Dad" and points to his left. Well you guessed it, a 31 pound female at 50 yards bouncing through the grass right at us upwind. I stopped her at about 20 yards and waited for Randy to give her the big thump with his .17 Rem. but no shot came. To close and not enough time for him to get turned around in the rock pile and find her in the 6X scope at that distance. Dad couldn't take it any longer and gave her a little nudge on the shoulder. Randy stated that "Well you shot another one." I only gave him 10 seconds and he thought he needed at least 15 seconds. Not to happy with dad at that very moment. He thinks I need to leave the gun in the truck next time. He may be right. We called for another 10-15 minutes with no response. As I was watching the trucks go by on the county road 600 yards in front of me and I could hear the cars on the highway less than a mile away I was thinking well I am back in the valley. We were sitting in a rock pile in some old CRP over looking a corn field. Parked the truck in a abandoned farmstead and walked out to the only elevated spoted for a couple of miles. Randy had his bi-pod up on a big rock and just could not get himself and the gun settled on the coyote fast enough. We picked up that female and headed for the truck. Just got the edge of the trees around the yard and the Male lit off, right at the rock pile. We had been on stand around 45 minutes and still could have stuck around another 15 to wrap him up. Oh well. I laid her down and spent the next hour on him. We got down wind and worked up on him in a corn field screaming at us. The grass was chest high and the wind was coming up, as far as he knew I was just another coyotes yelling back at him. He was pacing pack and forth just in side a small corn field next to a county road. I was trying to get up into a rock pile to maybe see him, I can't imagine he was more than 100 yards from us at this time. We busted 3 deer right at the edge of the corn bedded down, than ran right into the wind and must of scared the crap out of that male when they hit that corn full tilt. I never heard him again. That was it. By the time we got back to the truck Randy had big water blisters on both heels. We were done walking for the day. We were back at the Fireside Grill by 1pm and Randy had a big malt and some pizza. Randy spent the rest of the day telling everyone who would listen how his dad shot another coyote out from under him. Great group of guys at the hunt. Everyone got door prizes and there fill of chilli. Thanks to everyone for coming out. When I get the trailer unloaded and find my camera I will get some pics of the champs posted.

Last edited by Coyotehunter on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyotes Forever
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Sounds like fun guys I will have to show you what I was up to this weekend I will put it in the photo post though. :D
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

It was a real good time, I looked alittle shocked in the picture though :shock: . Thanks again Jamie.

I am having a hard time sitting at work now, I got a real bad itch to get out and kill something!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

hey levi should we go make a stand before your wedding on saturday :wink:
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

why not make 2 stands while were at it :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I want to see wedding pictures with calls around your neck!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

LOL LOL :lol: Levi and i might have to do that but i think if we were to wear those during the wedding they would end up where the sun don't shine :shock: from his soon to be wife.
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Its in my best intrest to just leave the calls at home, at least thats what I was told!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"