Cold Barrel shots

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Cold Barrel shots

Post by Dcoy »

The old guy again but...
Why not keep it simple.If it won't keep 3 shots in a group you're satisfied with in 'hunting time' repetition,dump it or work on it til it does.Trust me,if you care about precision shooting,don't start down the lane of worrying about your first shot being 'different'.The accuracy of your gun should not even remotely be part of your thought process in a hunting situation.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

now were cooking with fire. Nicely put Dcoy.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Dcoy wrote:The old guy again but...
Why not keep it simple.If it won't keep 3 shots in a group you're satisfied with in 'hunting time' repetition,dump it or work on it til it does.Trust me,if you care about precision shooting,don't start down the lane of worrying about your first shot being 'different'.The accuracy of your gun should not even remotely be part of your thought process in a hunting situation.
Very well put Dcoy! If you are more worried about your first shot, then your not thinking of the more critical thoughts of the moment!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Cold barrel = predictable.

Heated barrel = unpredictable.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Pilgrim wrote:Cold barrel = predictable.

Heated barrel = unpredictable.

This is just not something I worry about at all with the guns that I am using and the type of shooting I do.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Prairie dog shooting yes calling coyotes i hope not. If you worried about heating up the barrel that means you're on the fifth or sixth shot and most likely just shooting with frustration.

That isn't something i worry myself with at all
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

question for you guys that shoot AR-15s, do you notice a difference when your barrel starts heating up?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

I'm not sure that some of you are catching on to what Chris discovered. It's evident that Chris, Jaybic, & Deano understand the concept. I know Dcoy understands- His buddy taught me this many years ago.

To simplify:

Are you adjusting your crosshairs based on shots fired from a barrel at ambient ("cooled") temperature?

Are you still adjusting your crosshairs when firing shots from a heated barrel?

Your scope is either zeroed to shoot from a cold barrel or a heated barrel depending on how hot the barrel was when you put the windage/elevation caps back on.

Levi brings up a good question- Whether your bolt gun handles 4 or 5 rounds or your AR has a full banana clip, zero either rifle type based on a cold barrel. Once zeroed, you can shoot quick sequences (similar to hunting) and pay attention to the tendency your POI shifts as you rapidly heat the barrel.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Are you literally trying to imply that I do not understand the concept?? seriously. the original question was "How many of you take into consideration a "Cold Barrel" shot when you are out hunting?" the key word being HUNTING. the question was not "do you notice a change from first to last shot due to barrel temp." My answer is that for hunting purposes I do not take it into consideration. The answer most on here is the same, that in a hunting situation there are so many other variables, and typically in coyote hunting you have one shot (unless of course you miss a lot) and barrel temp is not an issue.
Coyotes Forever
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

:shock: Really don't take it into consideration at all.. :roll:
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

My responses are to Chris's intent as his description offered a bit more than "How many of you take into consideration...when hunting?" My answer to that question is "no", for the same reason I don't think about whether my car's steering is aligned every time I venture from the driveway. My car's steering mechanism either obeys an objective standard and is trustworthy (and does not require me to be cognizant to operate), or it's out of sync and will cause a bunch of other obvious (and not so obvious) secondary problems until I straighten it out.

My read is that Chris clearly and additionally conveyed that he has a problem with his rifle/crosshair relationship. To summarize, the rig has either #1) a correctable or incorrectable problem as any reasonably accurate rifle should print shots 1 and 2 inside a coin from 100 yards (what coin is a matter of personal standard). Or, #2) He sighted in his crosshairs with a hot barrel.

By the way, my intent here is to be useful to others. Maybe I could've done a better job, maybe someone's rifle will shoot straighter.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Can somebody please post some info on what a MATCH GRADE barrel on average does with a heated barrel? I don't want your opinion i want some one that actually did a study or a barrel manufactures information on their barrels. I shoot a Kreiger barrel and unless i have a brain fart and shoot 40 shells with it without letting it cool it doesn't change unless we are talking about EXTREME ranges or bench rest type accuracy. Your talking about a nine inch deep and 15inch across target area if your barrel changes that much from the first shot to the second buy a new barrle or stay at home. Jesus we're bickering about something that is so minuscul (sp) when it comes to the average called coyote that it's making my head hurt.

Shooting coyotes at 900yds is a very minor detail in fur harvesting and even in control work is only used once in a great while if your capable of it. Worry about getting three more real good stands in a day and you will kill a hell of a lot more than trying to tip them over at 600yds plus.

Sorry had to vent
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Amen.Exactly.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

PG thanks for laying it out, no BS there! Its all true!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Well I did,again,what I saw Jerry had done recently on another thread-type a long detailed 'report' only to somehow time out or lose it somehow.Damn!
Anyway here's a short version.Sitting here today working on a computer project regarding someone dear to me who passed away recently and kept taking breaks outside to think,walk the dogs etc.Then I noticed it was a rare day for our area-dead calm,sunny,warm,perfect.For shooting.Then I remembered PGs post so quickly grabbed a handful of rifles,shells,muffs,targets etc and headed to my new bench set up.
What follows is totally unscientific but I pass it on for what its worth:
1.I just ran a line of targets out in the pasture.Rested on the bench and 'ranged' them with my Swaro.All were between 265 and 268 yds.
2.I shot 3 rounds in succession with each except the Blaser with the 257 mag barrel on.Only shot 2 there,I'm cheap and those rounds ain't so...Didn't shoot fast but just steady-aim carefully,shoot,work the bolt and repeat..Its near 80 out as well.
RESULTS:
1.243 custom.(Shilen barrel,McMillan stock,Rem 700 action,etc)
a.Very hot 55 gr BTS=1.9 inches center to center.
b.Federal factory 70 gr Speer TNT hollow points=about exactly 2 inch group.Very surprising.Bought them at a blow out and they claim good speed.Will verify and 'stock up' if true.
2.220 Improved custom(shilen etc like the 243)=1.8 group with VERY hot 55 gr BTS.With the right guy,with eyes,this is a near one holer.
3.Savage Predator factory heavy barrel 22-250(about as accurate a factory rifle as I've seen)Hot 40 gr BTs=2.1 inch group.
4.Blaser with 257 Roy barrel on(likely most accurate factory I'll ever own).2 shots only,115 gr BTs=1.8 inch group.
There you have it-for what its worth.They all are better than I am but I was VERY pleased.Keep in mind I've had MANY rifles that can't get 5 inches in that type test.
Test em,fix em,or dump if they won't shoot.Simple to me.