Powder Measure

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Powder Measure

Post by Fallguy »

How many of you use a powder measure (I think that's what they're called)?

I just got into reloading this summer. Currently I measure out the powder for each case on my 5-0-2 RCBS Scale. Slow going but accurate. Just wondering if a powder measure retains that amount of accuracy and precision from case to case. Let us know what you use, how you like it, and how reliable it is.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
xdeano
coyotehunter

Re: Powder Measure

Post by xdeano »

Powder Measuring Dispenser right?

It drops powder at a predetermined amount.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=990979

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I use a lymans electronic powder dispenser plus my lymans magnetic scale, I measure twice for every load

The electronic scale is usually on the nuts, I measure with magnetic scale to verify, if they dont match up, I redo.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I use a powder drop that is set at .5 grains lighter than what i want for a load. I then pour that into the RCBS 5-0-5 scale and watch the scale where it goes. I then proceed with a powder trickler to trickle the powder into the balance beam scale till i have it exactly where i want it. Fallguy if you are struggling to always meet that exact line and it seems like you are always a touch to much or a touch too little, a powder trickler will allow you to drop a fraction of grains of powder at a time :wink: they are a cheap fast tool if you ask me. The powder part is the part that i hate the most about reloading :x
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

It has been my experience that a powder dispenser will get you close but will not be consistant enough. I weigh each and every charge on my beam scale(RCBS 502) which I will normally set up just a bit light and then use a powder trickler to get on the nuts and every so often I compare my beam scale to my electronic just to keep them both honest.

Jaybic
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

OK so at least a few of you are doing it not unlike how I am. Heres how I do it. Set my scale to the grains I want. Use a teaspoon thingy that I stole from my wifes kitchen drawer. Once my scales beam starts to move i stop pouring, then use my Redding trickler to finish it up. Yes, lyonch those tricklers are awesome! I got the Redding one because I saw how much xdeano liked his and it is about twice as heavy as the Hornady and RCBS one they sell. Much less apt to tip then.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

on my coyote gun I measure every load. I got all Lyman Jr. 1960's equipment. nothing fancy. I have a RCBS scale and will have to look at what model it is.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I use a RCBS charge master scale and dispenser. you can program loads in it for all of the different cartridges you shoot and it works pretty fast and is accurate....
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Tim Anderson wrote:I use a RCBS charge master scale and dispenser. you can program loads in it for all of the different cartridges you shoot and it works pretty fast and is accurate....
I got lymans twin to the RCBS with the exact same functions, like I mentioned earlier, I check every load with my Lymans pro 500 scale (not the Best)
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I trickle every load with coyotehunters equipment.

And yes thats the worst part about reloading.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

do you guys have problems with the automatic units with extruded powder?
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:do you guys have problems with the automatic units with extruded powder?
no, mine comes with an attachment i can screw in that will slow the trickle down or I can remove it to speed it up
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I had a coworker that was measuring out with an automatic using RL17 i believe and he was getting pissed because it kept dropping kernels after it had meet the right weight, even with the little nipple. He would have to spoon powder out of the pan and start over. He returned the unit and went back to his balance beam. He would have been better off throwing a weight and measuring it with his balance beam. He also complained about how long it took for it to measure it out. It took longer for the machine to measure it out than it took him to measure it out and trickle it to the desired weight.

In my own opinion the power throwers are great for varmint hunting, prairie dogs and such, but for precision work it should be all weighed.

I'll post a pic of what my balance beam looks like. I can measure to the kernel. It shows very well. And it cost me nothing. All I have is an RCBS 505 with a little piece of paper stuck to the frame of the scale. right across the bottom of the measuring line, so when the balance arm comes up it matches right up with the bottom of the frame line and paper. You'd be surprised at how inaccurate a guy can be just looking at it with the bare eye.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

My dad has the same issue with his. I was thinking about getting one but he said it was just as fast to do it by hand. He did say that is did great with ball powder but I can fly with ball powder as well. I take the drop and just hold it by hand and drop charges with the cases right in the reloading block. Extruded I have to trickle every load if I want to be right on with every charge.
Coyotes Forever
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

xdeano thanks for that tip with the sticky notes I will have to try that maybe.