Powder Measure

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Powder Measure

Post by Tim Anderson »

B.R. shooters are just like pred. hunters, they each have there way of doing things.
Some like to weigh each charge some just use a Harrolds powder measure, some seat bullets into lands some don't, some use threaded dies and some use inline dies.. For hunting purpases just stick with a balance beam and threaded dies untill you get it figured out...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Lots of good info here.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Over my head i would rather someone just hand me a box of shells and say these will do what you want. :oops:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Unless your going alot of P-dog or gopher shooting I would stick with a good balance beam scale, it won't egt much better for charge to charge accuracy than that! I weigh all charges for 3 different guns and also do some reloading for a friend same thing. I enjoy the time spent reloading so I haven't gone digital or with a charge dropper type measurer. I like to be very consistant and over time I can buiild up a good supply of ammo for coyotes and the limited big game hunting I do.

I like my redding scale and redding dies very smooth and nice! Unless your shotting paper in BR .1-.2 isn't going to be enough to warrant anything on a coyote sized critter even at 500 yards. Depending on burn rate of powder and temp sensative as well. I like the extreme powders from Hodgdons and at .1-.2 the differance is too small to make a differance. I need to adjust at least .5 grain to cause much change so my naked eye for now works fine, but with age comes bi focals which I see in the not to distant future :D
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i have a cheap (lee) i think, and i use only it when loading mass amounts. i load all my cases using it and check one every so often(maybe 20 rounds ) it's spot on!!!!!i use ball powder so maybe thats why.i do have a trickle charger but really never have to use it. i load for 3 different cartridges and have to redial the thrower each time but once locked in it's never thrown a bad charge (that i know of)
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I was doing some reloading lastnight, and I made notes on how many times my electronic dispensor was off from the balance beam. I was loading H4350 for my .243, Out of 30 rounds I did lastnight I had to remeasure 4 of them. the other 26 were dead on, and after redoing the other 4 they are now dead on.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Thanks for that info Levi!
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good stuff guys like to see
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Roane Ranger
coyotehunter

Post by Roane Ranger »

I have a standard electronic scale that needs to be on 2 hours before using (takes forever to warm up) to give a stable measurement. :shock:
Even so, it has to be restarted every now and then to get back into calibration. :(
It drifts, and you have to watch it. :(
It "sticks" sometimes and doesn't recognize the final trickled addition to the load, and causes you to have to start over. :cry:
I can do better on the beam scale every time- quicker too. :D

I have been considering purchasing an electronic scale that dispenses the charge set- thinking that would be better.
I have decided not to get one now, because of the above comments. :D

Thanks for saving me some money that will be better spent on more powder and primers! :D
Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, and apoligize to no one!
NRA Endowment Life Member
USMC 1980-1985
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I was doing some reloading lastnight, and I made notes on how many times my electronic dispensor was off from the balance beam. I was loading H4350 for my .243, Out of 30 rounds I did lastnight I had to remeasure 4 of them. the other 26 were dead on, and after redoing the other 4 they are now dead on
How far off where the 4 loads you had to redue?????

People may not know this but a balance-beam can also give a badd reading from time to time thats why everyone should have a set of check weights....
Nothing man made canbe trusted .....
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

They were probably at most .5 grains off. I love my dispenser, its a hell of lot faster, even if I have to redo a couple.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Roane Ranger
coyotehunter

Post by Roane Ranger »

That is too much, and could be dangerous if near maximum load.
0.1 grain might be overlooked, as some powders are not effected by that much variance, but 0.5 grain is way too much.

Still, I have decided NOT to purchase.
Inexpensive electronics have not advanced far enough yet to warrant my investment.
USMC 1980-1985
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Roane Ranger wrote:That is too much, and could be dangerous if near maximum load.
0.1 grain might be overlooked, as some powders are not effected by that much variance, but 0.5 grain is way too much.

Still, I have decided NOT to purchase.
Inexpensive electronics have not advanced far enough yet to warrant my investment.
yep thats why i did a redo
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

For those not familur with the RCBS charge master here is a short vidio of mine in action..

I used Imr- 4064 powder and noticed it takes a little longer to get final weight compared to a ball powder that i use in my 17 cal.s...The powder despensor tube is very senseative and will drop the powder out one kernal at a time to get the exact weight..
Roane Ranger
coyotehunter

Post by Roane Ranger »

Tim Anderson- is yours always that accurate, or does it vary like LeviM's dispenser? :?:
What brand is LeviM using? :?:

Good video by the way- I couldn't really tell what was being dispensed each time though. :(
USMC 1980-1985