Bench Rest Pimers - CCI BR-2

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Bench Rest Pimers - CCI BR-2

Post by lyonch »

RandyRoede wrote:There is a rumour going around about primers that has some target shooters looking for older primers made before all this ammo, reloading, gun, histeria took place. Hang fires happening!! Speculation about cranking out to much to fast.

I am on my second brick of primers since i started reloading, so i am still considered a rookie of rookies, but this past saturday when i was shooting i had my very first missfire. I have had shotgun shells do it here and there when i use to shoot for competition, but never on a rifle. It feals kind of weird becuase i have heard of horror stories when i guy would go to extract the shell the bastard would go off :shock:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

definetly makes a guy a little nervous
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

People get a bit sloppy when they get into a hurry. This last year I had a guy on the line shooting right next to me have two of his primers in backwards. They ignited and flashed soot into his face both times, he was pretty embarrassed. It never hurts to double check everything.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
rug204

Post by rug204 »

James calhoon has a very good article on primers and the difference it explains it very and I think I have seen it on his website www.jamescalhoon.com
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Are primers the same?? Nope.. some have a thicker cup or softer metal and some burn hotter than others.. If you have a chrono load up 5 rds of each brand of primer you have useing the same powder charge, there canbe as much as a 100 fps difference...

Can BR primers be used in the winter month's?? Yes

Mag. primers are for big cartridges that use the slower burning powders...Mag. primers canbe used in the summer or winter in a cartridge like a 22-250 or even the 17 rem. if youre particular gun likes them..

I have and still do use BR primers in most of my rifles.. An example: I reload for 5 different 17 cal rifles and each one prefers its own primer, some use the same where others like the Rem. 71/2 or Fed match or cci match..
Once i have a load picked out and tested in my rifle i will try different primers to see which one my rifle prefers...
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

Been a while since I posted but this one got me. The guy at Scheels is full of B.S. The Speer manual states it is the same as their large rifle primer. Bench rest primers are more carefully inpected by people that have a track record of producing consistant primers. Cold weather makes primers and powder less potent. It makes no sense to me why this would even happen. I could go on about all the dumb things I have heard the people at Scheels say but I will just say I go in get what I need and leave.
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

The only problems I have had with BR-2 primers, one brick that I got was 2-3 primers per sleve never fired (spring - summer conditions) But the next brick was fine..

Have you ever considered the problem being if you ever wash your hands after you eat the greasy KFC ???

Or the sweep up the floor method of primer storage ??

I was always told not to touch primers, maybe Voo-Doo but my shit goes bang almost always..... somtimes my cases come out in several pieces but that is another story.

How is that powder dispencer doing for you ??

Later Duke,
Norm
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Norm: You know I don't eat chicken, unless your wife is cooking :D

The sweep the floor method works fine, its the dog hair that make it tough. And considering I have some extra primers now, guess I don't need to pick them off the floor :lol:

Never did go over and get the powder drop yet. Been using my old method still. Put together all my .22-250 rounds on sunday, ended up with 500 and change loaded up now. So this year when you get here, I will not be reloading the morning before hunting :)

Hey; shouldn't you be working right now, hope its cold as hell where you are.... Later Man.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I was shooting praire dogs the other day and found where I had loaded one with out a primer in. I just have gotten to the point that I find reloading to be work. I crank up the radio and put my head down and just try to knock them out. My 12 yr old son has been loading for me for years now and does a great job. Got to always remember to double check your work.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I was shooting yesterday and forgot to add powder to one of my shells. I was in a hurry to punch some out quick and go shoot because it was a great evening and yep should have double checked :wink:
Chris Lyon

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Had three dry fires on a coyote coming into the call before i told my partner to take it. No powder!!! Coyotehunter was too busy telling about Brazil when i was reloading :lol: :wink:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Prairie Ghost wrote:Had three dry fires on a coyote coming into the call before i told my partner to take it. No powder!!! Coyotehunter was too busy telling about Brazil when i was reloading :lol: :wink:
It gets hard to focus when its story time about jamie and his trip to brazil :lol: :lol: Your better off with a glass of jack and seven brad instead of trying to reload and picture what he's talking about at the same time :wink: I can just picture you: click "HMMMM" bolt cycles, click "what the ****" bolt cycles, click "%^&*(* (*&(*& *&(*&%$$ %%%$$**#" Shoot it before i start throwing rocks at it :mrgreen:
Chris Lyon

Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

PG the primer didn't ignite either?? I had forgot powder ONCE and learned my lesson. The primer fired, made a little bang and the bullet was lodged a third of the way in the barrel. That sucked.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

It did not dislodge the bullets i was a little nervous so the shells got left in the field and on to the next stand after a few test fires with other shells. I'm only assuming that there was no powder in them.

Chris that was about exactly how it went!! I was busy yelling at the coyote trying to get it to stop (loping away by now) he stopped pretty and took a pill in the chest THANK GOD but i was a little mad to say the least. The first dry fire was at 80yds
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

I fired some empty shells in the 22-250 to see if the primer would move a seated bullet. I tried 5 times and could not get them to move at all. I would suppose the thinner necked rounds may but mine didn't either. I did have a coyote watch me when it was really cold the 25-06 I had at the time froze. By the 3 round it went. Good for me but bad for Mr. Coyote. I ended up making a point to clean the grease out of the firing pin spring. It was -30 or more.