Bench Rest Pimers - CCI BR-2

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Optimax90
coyotehunter

Bench Rest Pimers - CCI BR-2

Post by Optimax90 »

Anybody ever heard of these primers having issuses with cold weather??

Had a sales guy from Scheels tell me not to reload these in anything that I plan on shooting in temps below zero deg.
He claimed that they have a very weak spark and caused his gun to blow-up, or damage the bolt some how?? Didn't get a lot of info from him, figured he was full of BS?? He didn't give me much info, didn't ask why either, figured I would go to a place where I would get the truth without a lot of crap, so here I am??? :D
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Bench Rest Pimers - CCI BR-2

Post by LeviM »

He may be right, I have never heard of anything like this, but I have learned too take the advice the guys at scheels give out with a grain of salt.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

As levi mentioned before is you need to take everything those guys say with a grain of salt. I have never heard of those primers myself, and i highly doubt a primer will be the cause to damaging a gun or a bolt unless you combo it with right type of load. I had a guy at scheels that tried telling me he calls in and shoots a 100 coyotes a year in minnesota :lol: :lol: He didn't like it when i called him out and started really asking questions :wink: Come to find out at the end of the story between him and his friends and his buddies dogs, they ran coyotes with dogs and shot around 30 coyotes the previous season year :roll: Its amazing the stories they come up with just to make a sale :roll: Did you ever try to do a simple google search on the primers; to see if there is any other info that you can add to what some of well experienced reloaders on this might give you for info.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

10-4 Levi, more like salt blocks.

I shoot Fed 210 Match primers all year round, they're basically the same as the BR-2's, just different manufacture. The only thing that separates the regular primers and the match grade primers is that they are under a stricter tolerance when they're going through the factory. A primer is a primer, all it does is ignite the powder, if it doesn't do that at -30 than it isn't going to do that at 75F. big salt lick...

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Good post xdeano, your right a primer is a primer!

Like Chris mentioned, if you want to have some fun, go into the predator section of the store and look confused intill one of their predator "experts" ask you if you need help. Then ask him, a question about a product, then when he gives his answer, start asking more detailed questions, and watch their heads spin circles.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

If you shoot in weather 0 degrees or colder I recommend you use a Magnum primer. I am a work now but I can post more about this subject later if needed.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Mike Uhler works at scheels in GF ND and is a real good predator hunter and shooter the rest however are full of BS but you need to remember it's there job.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

I was going to ask someone else about this in scheels, or do a bunch of internet searches, but then thought way waist a whole lot of effort when I can go to the well, and get strait answers :)

The only problems I have had with BR-2 primers, one brick that I got was 2-3 primers per sleve never fired (spring - summer conditions) But the next brick was fine.. The only reason I'm shoting bench rest primers is that is what I could get my hands on. Expensive, yes but when that all you can get that what I shoot :?

I love going into Scheels and hearng them try to "sell" sombody something. I know they are trying to make a living but don't tell somebody what you know they want to hear!! Last weak I stoped in the optics area, and a guy asked me if I know anything about rangefinders, (he was already dealing with a sales guy, I told him don't waist alot of money and time and scratch up the money and get a leica :D The sale guy came back in the middle of our talking, and basicly said that I was no expert and all the other rangefinder are the same, and you are paying for the name :lol: So I agreed with him, about me being no expert, and said I'm just going off of my usage of mine and the product reviews that are all over the Internet, and the guys on this site say!!! So he come back with "all results are different" and you can take all these out side and try them. He told the guy you go out and range cars in the lotand will see that you can hit the max yards on all of these. I said " Ya but I don't hunt cars!!"

Talked to a couple other people that have never heard of this primer issuse, of course they are about as smart as me when it comes to reloading :) Just don't understand why you would not try to sell them??
He said "we will get more primers soon" I have heard that way to many times :?

Thanks guys, knew I could get it straight shooting here :) :) :)
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

LeviM wrote: Like Chris mentioned, if you want to have some fun, go into the predator section of the store and look confused intill one of their predator "experts" ask you if you need help. Then ask him, a question about a product, then when he gives his answer, start asking more detailed questions, and watch their heads spin circles.
That would be awesome to see! LOL
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i've been shooting cci br's for year in cold weather and i've still got my face attatched :?
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I do use the magnums in my .22-6mm and with that big charge of slow burning powder R-22 and H1000 I think it helps. Not sure though if it would be of any help with small charges of quicker burning powder say IMR 3031 or H 380.
Coyotes Forever
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I am with ya coyotehunter.. Switching brands from one to another really won't affect accuracy but the type used can IMO. I have seen drastic group size effect when powder capacities are extremely large or small again IMO. The cartridges that I use that burn large charges of 50gr+ or have a burn rate slower than lets say IMR-4350 benefit from the Magnum primers. I have also seen the benefits of using a Magnum primer in my guns using 40gr+ of ball or spherical powder especially when the temps drop below freezing. This of course is on my experimentation..
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I to have gone into Scheels and gave them the run around, it is so damn much fun, I'd do it on a daily basis if i could get away with it. It's even more fun with multiple people. They hardly ever have what I want their anyhow.

I'll have to look Mike Uhler up Prairie Ghost, I've never talked with him.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

There is a rumour going around about primers that has some target shooters looking for older primers made before all this ammo, reloading, gun, histeria took place. Hang fires happening!! Speculation about cranking out to much to fast.
Randy Roede
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Do that xdeano he is a real nice guy and a down right no BS caller. He is a little tight lipped but if you tell him what you do he'll probably sit and BS.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!