Berger VLD

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Daryl
coyotehunter

Berger VLD

Post by Daryl »

Is anyone currently using the Berger VLD bullets and if so how do you like the performance? I am thinking about using these in my new .243 AI.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Re: Berger VLD

Post by coyotelatrans »

I didn't get them to group well but I have a factory gun .243, they like to be close to the lands and if I get them close in my over bored factory rifle then it makes it a single shot as they won't fit into my magazine. I'm very happy with the performance of the 95 grain Nosler bal tip they work well and shot nice groups and OAL isn't near the issue as with the VLD"s.

I did shoot a deer at 475 with one and it did the job, but can't complain with the nosler bal tip and it's accuracy. Make sure you have at least a 1-9 twist to stablize the long bullet of the VLD.
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

i shot a couple of deer with the 95 vld they sure seemed to fly apart in the animal really quick upon the entrance but that was in the hind quarter of a of a deer pretty dense muscle tissue. but after reading up on them that is what they kinda want them to do i guess. as for shooting a coyote i dont know what kind of damage theyll do. but as for loading them i had a win. mo 70 and loaded them out as far as i could to just fit in the mag and they shot hole in hole groups and that was a 1:12 twist . and they look really cool too really long and sleek 8)
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

What twist is your barrel in your best caliber ever imagined rifle ??

I have a 1-9 Hart and it loves Moly 105's A-max. They are wicked fun on PD's past 500 YDS...

Bergers..... just shoot better.....

Only fur friendly is not a good description.

87 gr V-max is my choice for 6mm and fur

Daryl you will love your new stick.

Norm
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Norm it is a 26" 1:10 #4 fluted Brux . The rifle should be finished by the end of next week :D I am going to try the the 95gr VLD and if it doesnt work out I will move on. Everyone says I need a 1:9 but I have read several people have got them to work great in 1:9 to 1:12. Guess will will see in the next couple weeks.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have heard great things about there 105 gr vld but I would think you would need a say 1:8 or at least 1:9 to shoot these.
Coyotes Forever
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I've tried the 95g VLD's in a 1-10" twist, Sako 243 and they didn't shoot, they keyholed at 100yds. I tried to speed them up past max and they still keyholed, it was just further out. I ended up going with the 90g Berger, they worked like a charm.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Thanks xdeano I will keep that in mind.
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

Daryl,
I am testing some new bullets you may be interested in. This guy strictly makes 6mm bullets, nothing else. I have developed loads for his 74gr and 90gr so far. The 74gr - shot 2 five shot groups one produced a .270 the next a .240 all at 100yds out of a Stevens, right out of the box. The 90gr produced the same outcome. I flinched a few times so I took those fliers out of the equation. I shot the 90's out of a Savage that the barrel is about shot out of. Good bullet, good load developement or just great guns??????? I don't know....... could be that I am just a good shot.... LOLOLOLOLOLOL........

Now, I don't know what they will do on a coyote, I have not gotten that far yet. Been windy and raining for the last 2 weeks it seems. I did have a guy that was gonna take me out coyote hunting, but that fell through somehow????? Will let you know how I do hunting by myself.

Anyway, here is the website for the bullets... www.precisionballisticsllc.com I am not trying to push this bullet on anyone, just thought you may be interested.

Later dude!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President
The Varmint Hunters Assoc.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Thanks alot Jeff I appreciate and info. I will check them out. I want to try as much as I can with this new gun to get it to shoot to it's full potential.
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

Hey buddy not a problem... Just remember, just because you can push it fast, doesn't always mean that is the best. My load is only pushing the 90gr about 2850fps. I know you have an Ackley, but just keep it in mind...

I haven't done much testing with the AI's, but if you need any help I am sure we could come up with something that will work...

Jeff.
Jeff Rheborg, President
The Varmint Hunters Assoc.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I will more than likely be calling you for help LOL. I really appreciate it Jeff.
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

I would interested on how these work on coyotes as well? After looking at the site it seems like they are a big hollow point and the jacket doesn't look to be a thick one? Shoulder shots and bone hit would be my main concern with these bullets as they are for many who shoot bergers. I witnessed last weekend a guy with a custom 7mm mag shooting bergers shoulder hit a doe antleope and that bullet flew apart!!! Alot of outside tissue damage but very little penetration from that berger from a powder burner like the 7mm mag. I recommended to him to try some 160 nosler accu bonds, he had the gun built just shortly before hunting season,shot pretty paper groups but was surprised at what the berger did when it hit bone. He wasn't impressed as I hear that from others as well.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

From what i've seen over the years the higher you go in a Cal. the more damage you do to the animal and hide.. I met a hunter awhile back from Water town S.D. that had a 257 Arnold built just for coyotes
. He is in one of the first Elk products vidios, he used that rifle when they where filming coyotes in S.D. and the 257 arnold did so much damage they could'nt show any of his kills on vidio...
After i met the guy i looked up the cartridge he was useing, it was one hot flat shooting cartridge thats for sure.. I met the guy again a couple years ago while out calling and i asked him how the rifle was doing his reply was it did a great job out to 500 yds as far as shooting pretty flat but said it was hell on the coyotes so he sold it.. If a guy is going to just kill the coyotes then the hot rods shooting heavey bullets is the way to go but if you want to salvage the fur a hunter wouldbe better off with something in the 224 cal. range...
A guy in the crew here at home shoots a 243 ackley and has done good out to 800 yds useing a 85 gr. V-max as long as he stays away from the spine area.. As i recall i'm able to salvage about 70% of the coyotes he shoots with it..
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Tim tell him to switch away from the v max jacket type and go with a hunting type I'm betting your salvage rate would go up a few %. Thin jacket varmint bullets IMO are not for the body mass of coyotes. Made for p-dogs and the such. Stay off bone your good but hit bone and that is where the issues with a thin jacketed varmint type bullet start. I hate bullet splash and with a heavier jacketed bullet that goes away.