Berger VLD

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Berger VLD

Post by Tim Anderson »

Randy you a right about that. The problem i have with the guys i hunt with is all i can do is suggest a cal. or bullet weight they should use. Hell if i had it my way they all wouldbe shooting 17 cal.s :lol:
I do the load testing for some of the guys when they buy a new rifle or have one made but some get it in there head that they have to use a certain cartridge or bullet from something they read some place.. When i did the load testing for the guy with the Ackley he gave me three different boxes of bullets he wanted tested and then he would decide from there..After i tested the loads he decided to go with the 85 gr. V-max..
The way we had it set up with the hides was i would do the skinning and stretching and then sell them and we would split the money equal, minus money for gas to go sell the hides. Last year i had someone else do the finishing on the hides and the money for that came out of everyones share.. This year i will be doing all the work again but will be getting paid from each guys share for putting them up, which comes to around 7-8.00 per coyote.. They will have to learn if they want a bigger check they will have to keep the fur damage to a minimum. :)
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I forgot to share but I did get my .243 Ackley built and back in my hands..

I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Nice Setup!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Daryl

That looks like a pretty smart rig. Nice!

On the Hornady 87 vmax- I had a bunch loaded for my 240w last year. They were very accurate but I shot them all up on targets after figuring they'd either cut a coyote in half (at 3600 MV) or just leave a half. At the time I decided I was going to load up some 85 Hornady Interbond bullets (no blow up) and declare my 240 the ultimate everything-smaller-than-elk rifle (and build a 2nd 240 similar to Daryl's configuration). Several months later my ideas remain trumped by priorities, so no 85 Interbonds (and no 2nd rifle) and now I have a batch of 55 noslers to shoot.

Any 6mm owners tried 85 Interbonds yet? Maybe Daryl will give them a whirl down his new rifle?
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i'll bet you can hit a barn with that one Daryl :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Wow,one nice looking rig there Daryl!Looking forward to how it shoots.I understand the 'go slow' arguments but as Jim Carmaichel wrote,'Why buy a racehorse if you're not going to race?'
Crank her up man,crank her up!Line of sight from 0 to about 360.SWEET!!! :D
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Here's some work ups a friend did for my plain ol 243 custom after getting me to try some 70 gr BTs.I'm old and near buggy stage but i don't have to shoot a buggy is what i told him.Crank her up til you lose accuracy is my motto and i've yet to hear a sound argument against that other than 'barrel life'.Ha,as if thats really an issue in coyote hunting.

243 Winchester

Case Winchester
Bullet Nosler 70gr Ballistic Tip
Powder IMR 4064
Primer Federal 210
OCL 2.70”

Load --A--
37.5 gr IMR 4064 3168 fps

--A-- Velocity
--A-- Velocity

Load –B—
39.5 gr IMR 4064 3323 fps

--B-- Velocity
--B-- Velocity

Load –C— ### MAX###
41.5 gr IMR 4064 3478 fps

--C-- Velocity
--C-- Velocity
--C-- Velocity

Load –D-- ###MAX+### Caution
43.5 gr IMR 4064 ???? fps

--D-- Velocity
--D-- Velocity
--D-- Velocity
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Thanks Dcoy and to you Bucks I wouldn't be to sure about that just yet :oops:
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...