Anybody have any crimping tips

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Anybody have any crimping tips

Post by Fallguy »

I just picked up a Lee Crimping Die to use for my 223. I heard that it may result in better grouping. Any tips on using this tool? I glanced through the directions but haven't really tried using it yet. I have some already loaded up 223 rounds and I want to see if a crimp tightens my groups up any. Thanks.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Anybody have any crimping tips

Post by Tim Anderson »

Good luck :roll:
Varmintnv

Post by Varmintnv »

Be cautious when crimping existing loads, especially if they are at or near max pressures. Crimping will cause pressures to rise, sometimes dramatically. I have never tried crimping myself, was always told it would hurt group sizes. But then again, I was told Sasquatch lived in my backyard and would eat me if my grades in school didn't improve!! LOL
22-250AI
coyotehunter

Post by 22-250AI »

Neck tension might be worth taking a closer look at for accuracy.

GOOGLE is your friend. I crimp only my .45 ACP but am very perticular on my neck tension.

.003 is close to gooder
Krylon is my camo
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I would not crimp my rounds. I know that is not your question but...................
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Crimping youre cases canbe a hit and miss and you can gain the samething buy just neck sizeing with a bushing die.. With the crimping you would have to turn youre necks so they are all uniform thickness and uniform in length... If you have a case with a thicker neck then the tension willbe greater compared to another round that has a thinner neck wall...One round will give you a higher pressure and viseversa..
Crimping was designed for cases that are to be fired in a auto or semi-auto and tube feed rifles to keep the bullets from moveing into a case as the rifle was fired and crimping is also used for hand-guns..
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

if your looking to increase accuracy, I would first play with powders, powder weights, COAL, Primers. What I have been told is that crimping can be more of a headache then its worth
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"