.204 45gr Hornady Soft Point

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

yellowdog
coyotehunter

.204 45gr Hornady Soft Point

Post by yellowdog »

Tell ya what fellas, don't know bout you but the 45 Hornady soft points are tough to find around here. Stores can't keep'em on the shelves, factory or in bulk. These are the ticket for saving pelts, and work great in a 1 in 12 twist believe it or not.
Last edited by yellowdog on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pilgrim

Re: 45gr Hornady Soft Point

Post by Pilgrim »

YD

I'm glad as any to see a soft point .20 when everything offered to date is built for explosion. I'd try them but don't have high hopes for longer range stability from my 1/12" twist plus I'd give up too much trajectory. The grapevine says there's also a new 40 grain soft point in .20 that's going to be around soon that claims to have 39 Sierra velocities, so there's hope for awesome speed and trajectory without the vaporizing bullet. Anyway, there's new .20 cal stuff to look forward to.

If you look into the 'other' 20 cals like 20 BR, etc... you'll see that they're mostly set up as 1/9" twist and can push the 45 Hornady and 50 Berger around 3800-4000 fps. The appeal is that a 50 grain .20 is on a whole different level than any .22 cal 50 grain with regard to aerodynamics- That's flat shooting X wind bucking in a league of its own!
Last edited by Pilgrim on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
22-250AI
coyotehunter

Post by 22-250AI »

Berger makes a 50Gr LTB in a .20 cal with an advertised BC of .296 .
Which is a hell of allot more slippery than my 50Gr V-Max @ a BC of .242
Krylon is my camo
yellowdog
coyotehunter

Post by yellowdog »

Think I'm scraping the 45gr Hornady soft point idea for the .204. You still can't find them & I think I found a better pill for the pelt saving purpose anyway. I got a hold of the new 40gr Berger varmint boat tail. It has a good G7 BC and does infact save pelts as I put one in a 40lb. male dog two weekends ago. This was a neck shot at about 110yds, small entry with no exit. He dropped on the spot. The shot went through quite a bit of wet switchgrass before it reached the target, or I think it might have made an exit being a neck shot.