10ga Browning

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

luv2hunt

10ga Browning

Post by luv2hunt »

Need help. I hunt midwestern Ohio and we push coyote and hunt with shotguns. I really want this gun to pattern out past 45-50 yrds with my full choke and 3.5in 00 buck (thats bout the ammo limit for 10ga on coyote), and have considered reloading. Just want any and all recommendations that you all may have. I currently have no reloading equipment or experience for that matter but willing to learn (father reloaded for years). I have ordered a x-full extended choke also to try but it may blow the pattern instead of tightening it. Have heard the rumors of these new loads being deadly at 70-80 yrds and I guess thats what I'm looking for. Thanks for any help.
HUNT, JUST SHUT UP AND HUNT
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Re: 10ga Browning

Post by Red Fox »

I replied to your other post also. I have found the size of shot with the type of wad used prodced the best patterns. In the 10 gauge using BP wads I like #1 buck. I am planning on ordering F size nickel plated buck or T size soon.
luv2hunt

Post by luv2hunt »

I had a pretty good feeling that it was goin to come to the reloading gig. I can agree with the smaller shot sizes than the 00buck it doesen't have the velocity that would give it range past 50 yrds in the factory load by Federal. Fine tune reloading can definatly give that option I guess. Thanks for the reply. I'll start my research on reloading now and the BP wads.
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

I am playing with duplexing buckshot. I tried 1-1/4 oz of #4 below 3/4 oz of #1. It patterned well but not as tight as I wanted. Tryng the BPD 10 wad again. Going with the buffered loads and slitting your own wads. Duplexing will lenghthen your shot string but on a semi stationary target I would think it would be fine. I have not found a wad that would beat the BPD 10 with lead shot in the 10 gauge. I have tried about all of them. If your looking at 10 gauge stuff BP has alot of it. The others think of the 10 as a recoil producing mammoth and feed to the 12 gauge shooters more. Let me know how you do. Dave
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

In MY HONEST opinion you guys are splitting atoms. If he won't break the 50 yd barrier shoot'em with the rifle. i would love to have a shotgun that kills out to 80yds consistently but isn't that what all of our rifles are for?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
luv2hunt

Post by luv2hunt »

You hit the nail one the head Red Fox thats why I'm doin my researrch on the 10ga cause I want good cover in shot on a semi stationary target. While walking and driving small woods and fence rows the shotgun is the choice because we get them up and movin. The rifle I got covered, Bushmaster Varminter in .223, actually rolled one Tuesday nite while calling at bout 125 yrds. That evening was absolutly awesome hunting in the Buckeye state. Fresh snow, frozen ground, clear skys amd almost full moon. Got a lead on a good price on a Mec Sizemaster I think for 10ga and probly goin to reload to get what I want. BP does have all materials for the 10 thanks for that lead and you can actually order Heavy-Shot Dead Coyote to load yourself. Got my extra full turkey choke and wasn't impressed, really no different than the full. Trial and error and this great forum and I'll get it figured out for sure.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Turkey chokes are way too tight for the larger size shots like buck and dead coyote. Stay with a modified choke or factory full and you can always look into custom chokes too, but from my experience, those turkey chokes are specifically designed for shot sizes 4 through 6.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
luv2hunt

Post by luv2hunt »

Well that's for sure that 00 buck really didn't like that ex-full turkey choke. Wasn't really that much different from the full, but certainly not better. Today was trial and error with the 10ga and my buddies other guns. BBB was really impressive from the 10ga it's just steel and I would like more density that that. It covered the dog at 50yrds just have to question the penetration? I'll keep tryin.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I was told if I was going to shoot 00 buck, to use a modified choke.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

A quick word of advice is done use steel on a coyote!! You will have way more run offs than you care to see :shock: I know the idea is always good, but lead and heavy shot and some loads like that are what a guy needs to stick with.
Chris Lyon

The_Punisher

Post by The_Punisher »

I shoot alot of 12g 3.5 BB and BBB, left over from the goose season. Most of is shot through a IM choke. Holds great patterns till about 55-60 yds. Plus with the SBE, follow ups are easy!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

The_Punisher wrote:I shoot alot of 12g 3.5 BB and BBB, left over from the goose season. Most of is shot through a IM choke. Holds great patterns till about 55-60 yds. Plus with the SBE, follow ups are easy!
So are you stating that you shoot coyotes with steel shot and are having success? Also if you are having success with steel loads on coyotes, how many do you shotgun a year?
Chris Lyon

luv2hunt

Post by luv2hunt »

Well thanks to the info found here I have the Mec on order.HAHA! Goin to try a couple different load combos including #4buck and maybe T's and possibly some copper-plated and then the Patternmaster maybe. Carlsons did not offer a choke for 10ga Browning. BPI carries a couple different shot cups and need to narrow that down and what powder may be the best too. Anyone that runs across this please put in your $.02!!
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Post by Red Fox »

Carlson ran a special run last year for the 10 gauge. I bought 2 of them. One for the Rem and the other the Browning. I would lean twords the buffered buckshot loads. The BPD 10 wad does work well. I order mine unsliced. I use 3 slits down to the filler wad. IMR 4756 seems to have given me the best patterns so far.
luv2hunt

Post by luv2hunt »

Well the after two orders from BP and some other beg, borrow and steal items the mec is up and goin. Have tried 5 different recipes with my mod and full factory chokes and did't find that one that put me over the edge. However, I haven't tried any buffer loads yet. I too am using the unslit wads and started buy putting 4ea 1" slits in them for the last loads and may try just 3 petals next time. I have no. 47 buffer and 4756 just wondered if you would be willing to part with the rest of that recipe redfox, did you come up with it yourself or is it a proven load from a nother manufacture? Also, I checked with Carlson again and they emailed me back said the did not make a choke for my Gold Invector. Thanks l2h