moly bullets

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

TIKKA
coyotehunter

moly bullets

Post by TIKKA »

Just wondering what the plusses are to using moly coated bullets, being as it is hard to get the gun clean afterwards.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: moly bullets

Post by LeviM »

TIKKA wrote:Just wondering what the plusses are to using moly coated bullets, being as it is hard to get the gun clean afterwards.
Take this from experience! There are no pluses! and it sucks big time to clean out if you want to shoot regular bullets again. Its a must to get out of your barrel if you switch back! Cleaning that out was nasty dirty, and took alot of work and effort!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

The claim i have heard several times on moly coated bullets, is that you can shoot more rounds through your barrel before its gets fouled to the point where it needs to be cleaned again. I think there are some previous posts made on the site in regards to the moly coated bullets that have some very good information in it. take the time to research the history here and you might be suprised at what kind of comments you find.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
TIKKA
coyotehunter

Post by TIKKA »

Thanks for the inut guys. I haven't used them yet and don't plan to, was just curios what the upside was.
22-250AI
coyotehunter

Post by 22-250AI »

There is no downside except,

Your barrel lasts longer,
You never have to clean your barrel,
Your velocity increases while chamber pressure decreases,

You can always tell who is loading with Moly as thier thumbs are black.

I have cleaned a couple of tubes ( For no reason except to play with my junk) that I had been running moly through and with
Gunslick.jpg
Gunslick.jpg (12.23 KiB) Viewed 11470 times
It cleans up easy...

I just bought a pound of Molybdenum Dysulfide off of E-gay of it as I burned up a 1/4 # last year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Lb-Molybdenum-Dis ... 3358f3d24d

I have never experianced loosing accuracy due to fouling when I run molly and have several thousand rounds through several barrels in .224 and .243.

This is my own $.02 ONLY

I will not run naked bullits
Krylon is my camo
The_Punisher

Post by The_Punisher »

Molly is not to hard to clean at all, you just cant use normal cleaning products! Kroil and JB bore paste are one. Look at the bench rest crowd and Highpower boards. It sure saves a barrel from getting shot out! I have a 7mm mag that is almost 2x past its life now! Plus your barrel doesnt foul out as quick.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Its just a matter of choice. Good if you use it and good if you don't..
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Tim Anderson wrote:Its just a matter of choice. Good if you use it and good if you don't..
So we got two guys that HATE it, and to guys that LOVE it... Thanks for breaking the tie Tim.......

I know that my stuff fouls up fast with naked bullets, and I shot out that new rem 700 barrel in less than a year.

I know that .22-250AI never goes shooting naked, and his stuff flies straight........

Have not started using moly yet but, I have read more possitive than negative. I bet with a sixer of cold-ones I could get some moly to try out, and then see for my self..........
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

If you ever try to apply molly to a bullet that does not have any on, you better do your research. I know jamie could go on for days about the proper products and procedures for this. For me personally it is too much of a hassle than what its worth. Again that is just opinion. Like TA said congratulations if you shoot it and congratulations if you don't. Personally i am out to kill a coyote not punch paper day after day.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I tried moly about 10 years ago. I did it the right way.
I bought a bottle of the liquid moly for my bore, I cleaned my barrel completely, applied it evenly. Then I did a huge batch of 50g Nosler Ballistic Tips for my 22-250. I tumbled them with powdered moly for a couple of hours, dumped them out on a terry cloth and gave them a quick buffing to get some of the loose moly off. Then I loaded them and shot them. I retained the same groups, nothing smaller. So no gain there. Then after around 200 rounds I gave it a quick cleaning remolyed my bore and it took about 100 rounds for my rifle to settle down, I was getting huge 1" groups with a gun that was consistently shooting in the .1 and .2's. So after the 100 rounds it settled into the small groups again. I shot the rest of the 1K of bullets that I did with moly they shot great but i didn't see any improvement in accuracy. After I was done with the 1000 rounds i completely stripped the moly in my barrel, talk about a job. I have never used so many patches in all my life. After I had completely stripped it with help from a borrowed bore scope, i took it to the range with plain bullets again and it still shot the same .1's and .2's but instead of burning up 100 rounds it only took about 5. So you'll have to weigh the pros and cons. I know i'll never do it again.

Pro: I'm still thinking.

Con's: it saves on cleaning time until you want to stop then it catches up with you.
doesn't increase accuracy
I saw a slight decrease in velocity by a few ft/sec.
Don't get moly on the carpet, I learn it the hard way!
Wear gloves when playing with moly, because it's damn hard to get off your fingers.
Don't get it on your cloths. It doesn't come out very easy.
It's a mess.

Wait I thought of a Pro, it sounds cool when you say you, "did moly".

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Great Post Xdeano! I found the exact same results, its just wasnt worth it to me. It was terrible to clean, maybe some of you found the magic potion, but I tried everything! Its all personal preference!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
22-250AI
coyotehunter

Post by 22-250AI »

It's magic dust and don't work !
Krylon is my camo
Tikka09
coyotehunter

Post by Tikka09 »

Tikka,

Tikka09 here. I've tried them and saw no real benefit. In my opinion if you have a good barrel you don't need to worry about this stuff. Use JB to clean your bore after moly bullets. Good luck
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

I thought the moly craze died in ohhhh, 2002!

Those of you saying your rifle fouls like crazy......does it affect accuracy though?

I had a rifle for a brief time (factory tube) that fouled like no other ive ever seen! But, it didn't seem to affect accuracy one bit. Whether 50 rounds down the tube, or 500, it still held a nice cloverleaf at 100.

Ive read all the reports on moly, I think about the only plus side to it (if done right) is extended barrel life. For MOST guys shooting standard calibers though, they'll never wear a barrel out in two lifetimes.